The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mrtrout

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Thinkfish Bold semi auto reel
Thinkfish Bold semi auto reel
Published by Mrtrout
01-21-2013
Author review
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
80%80%80%
Overall
80%80%80%
Average 84%
Default Thinkfish Bold semi auto reel

Hi guys, just taken delivery of one of these superb reels from these guys.

https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/en/s...thinkfish-bold
Arrived this morning, and only posted on Monday, well packaged.
I was simply bold (no pun intended) over by the look of these, and after trying out its lesser cousin the Vivarelli, which I found a bit delicate in its manufacturing quality, I decided to get my hands on one.
Comes in a lovely foam lined purpose made presentation box,
purpose made neoprene pouch, and allen key, with full instructions and a no quibble two year warranty.
Much lighter than I imagined for a semi Auto, the spool only weighs 38 grams, it looks and feels great in the hand.
It's snowing here at the moment so no chance of fishing with it today, but I have put a line on and attached it to my 8.6ft rod.
It's very smart, materials look top quality, nice drag, and no need to alter from LHW to RHW as the retrieve lever lies dead centre on the reel.
It takes up to a #7 line with backing, and one pull on the lever retrieves 42" of loose line, no more winding with a fish on.
I always try to play my fish off the reel, and this just helps no end, the reel foot is adjustable easily by a very clever idea, so depending on the size of your hands, the lever can be moved closer or further away by one Allen key, supplied.
All made from aerospace aluminium, stainless screws and springs, carbon line guide.
As I get older I find this so much easier to use, it certainly won't replace my other reels totally, but I can see me using this a lot this season.
Click on the link and check out the full details, also see the other products, fly boxes, sunglasses and sports wear.
Thinkfish fly boxes are a fantastic design, I may have to treat myself shortly, and if the quality of those is anything like their reels I will be a very happy bunny.
I'll put another review up after I catch a few brownies on it, after March 15th.
S.
mcnerney and jpbfly like this.
Featured Reviews
By jpbfly on 01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Default Re: Thinkfish Bold semi auto reel

Very interesting review...been using Vivarellis(aluminium& carbon) for years...great reels ,only the drag is a bit hard to adjust on the carbon one.
Looks like the Bold is more expensive...(twice?)
Looking forward to reading your fishing tests
By mcnerney on 01-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Very nice review, looking forward to reading what you think after you have been on the water. That reel certainly looks beautiful and well made.

I have a Cordel auto reel that JP generously gave me for xmas one year, it also is extremely well built and fun to fish.

Click the image to open in full size.
By Mrtrout on 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Just a wee update on the Bold semi Auto.
I fished it today after loading it with a Cortland 444 WF#5 floater.
I could have put a lot more backing on, as you can see from the pictures.
It felt slightly strange at first, your impulse is to grab for the handle, but I soon got used to it.
Fishing a small lake with a friend we encountered some lively Rainbows that fight really hard.
Drag performed very well with no over run, and very smooth.
The best part obviously is the rapid uptake of all the loose line about your feet, which usually you stand on, or it gets tangled in the undergrowth.
Not any more, a couple of quick lever pulls, and it's all back on the spool, leaving you free to concentrate on the fish, and letting the drag do the work.
Was I impressed? To be honest yes, it's my first semi auto, and it performed admirably, nicely made, and a great bit of kit.
I dealt with these people, a great bunch of guys.

https://www.flyfishingpoint.net/en/s...thinkfish-bold

Click the image to open in full size.

S.
Last edited by Mrtrout; 06-16-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Comment

Review Tools