The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree6Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Orvis Guide Sling Pack
Orvis Guide Sling Pack
nick k
01-31-2013
I am someone who likes to be prepared for all eventualities on the water. Some examples of gear I carry at all times:
By quimby on 03-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Default Re: Orvis Guide Sling Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
I think these Orvis packs are great. I use mine on the flats, far better than a waist bag. Highly recommended.

P.S. Does anyone know what Orvis call the bar for loading the tippet reels on these packs???...can't find them on their website.
Was wondering the same thing.

I was looking through their catalog and it shows the tippet spool. I find it annoying that they advertise it in their catalogs, but don't sell it.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
Yeah I looked at it after you commented. It does indeed say it on the site. Maybe they changed it since I bought it, or maybe they only do it online. Either way, great product.
Their newest catalog says, "tippet spool not included"
By Scott Kessler on 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM

I was told by Orvis the Tippet Spool Holder is only included in the fully loaded pack. I ran into the same question when I first got this pack. I do like it.
By vtmatt on 05-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Member reviews
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 94%

Have had my Guide pack for almost two months. Had the original sling pack, but it was too small so I sent it back and got a refund. Not too long after, the Guide pack came! Wallah! Picked up the Guide pack and was impressed with the improvements.

Very high quality, looks great and plenty of room for 3 larger fly boxes, a GoPro, a few sandwiches, water bottle, even an extra spol or two!

I give it 9/10 for performance because I think they can still improve on the inside compartments. The main compartment should have more zippered compartments on the sides....that would make this pack absolutely perfect!

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Kessler View Post
I was told by Orvis the Tippet Spool Holder is only included in the fully loaded pack. I ran into the same question when I first got this pack. I do like it.
I bought the normal Guide pack, not the fully loaded and the plastic spool holder was included on my pack. I like it as well, but wonder how long it will last. It doesn't seem too rugged but is still a great holder.
By wlai on 05-25-2013, 01:03 AM

What does "fully loaded" mean and what is include? $139 for just the pack isn't outrageous.
By nick k on 05-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlai View Post
What does "fully loaded" mean and what is include? $139 for just the pack isn't outrageous.
If you go to the orvis website and look at the description for the pack it says what's included in the fully loaded version.
By jschaaf6 on 11-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Thumbs up Re: Orvis Guide Sling Pack

I too have just recently purchased the guide series sling pack and love it. I have been using a vest for the past couple of years and have always struggled with carrying everything I want out fishing. I usually over pack leaving my vests bulky and front heavy. I have had my sling pack for about a month now and have used it about 6 times on the lake and river fishing. I can carry everything I need (plus a lot of things I probably don't) and still have more room if I ever needed it. It is very light weight and comfortable. And having the ability to carry it on your back out of the way until you need it is very rewarding.
By jimw on 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM

I like the old style better i fish mostly a few hours at a time and find it holds more than i need. I usually cover several miles of beach and like to keep it light. I almost always use a stripping basket and the sling pack is always out of the way but readily accessible. Mine is several yrs old (only $49 new) and has held up well in than salt, i do rub some candle wax on the zippers to keep the salt from locking them up.
Jim
Comment

Review Tools