The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree6Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Orvis Guide Sling Pack
Orvis Guide Sling Pack
Orvis Guide Sling Pack
Published by nick k
01-31-2013
Author review
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Default Orvis Guide Sling Pack

I am someone who likes to be prepared for all eventualities on the water. Some examples of gear I carry at all times:
  • 2 large saltwater sized large fly boxes (for big streamers and such)
  • Reel plus extra spool
  • Various tools (knife, leatherman, wire cutters, etc.)
  • Fish hanging scale
  • First aid supplies (bandaids, superglue, dry paper towers)
  • Glasses
  • Fishing gloves
  • At least spools of assorted sizes of tippet/leader material
  • And more...

It is hard for someone like me to find a really good pack to carry all of my gear. To clarify here, its not hard to find a pack that fits everything (a regular backpack can easily do that), but to find one that fits everything and has pockets and organizing features to keep it all separated and in its appropriate place. Its a real pain to have to adjust every item in your pack once you take your fly box out and want to put it back but 10 things have shuffled into its place.

I have had the Orvis Gale Force sling for some time now and love it for tubing and salt water trips (as its waterproof), but it only really has 2 compartments for gear and a little pocket on the inside. I had looked at the regular Orvis slings for some time, but they were just too small to fit my big fly boxes and extra gear.

The Orvis Guide Sling Pack was released only a few months ago and is more than double the size of their top selling regular sling packs which I admired. The pack is extremely well made, with very high craftsmanship and attention to detail. Orvis is never cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for with the high cost. The outside is rugged, well stitched, and most of it is water resistant in case it takes a quick dip or it starts to rain.

There are pockets for days. The main compartment is very large, fitting both of my large saltwater fly boxes. Included in the main compartment are three internal zippered pockets. The second largest compartment is padded with a foam fly holder velcro'd on (and removable, can also be velcro'd on the outside of the bag). There is plenty of room within this compartment for my extra spool, glasses, gloves, scale and some other items. The third compartment is the smallest, but still capable of holding all my smaller items, such as line straightener, measuring tape, etc.. The zippers for all pockets are oversized and rugged.

The outside of the bag also has some great new features. For easy tippet access, there are two high quality loops that you can bridge a tippet spool holder between. I have 7 spools of tippet on this holder between the loops, giving my access to all the sizes I'd need without opening my bag and fumbling around when wading. There is also a zinger attachment spot with a hidden magnet a few inches below it. The magnet stops the attached clipper or other tools from dangling around and getting caught somewhere. On the top of the bag, there is a wide strip of velcro that can be used to attach flies or to attach the foam fly holder that comes inside the second compartment.

The sling functionality of the pack is extremely easy and helpful. There is a detachable clip that can come across your right side and snap on to the pack to keep it from sliding off our shoulder while casting. When you need the pack, you quickly unclip it (if you have the clip on) and swing it below your left arm onto your stomach. Like I said, very smooth process, very easy and comfortable. I am a small guy and the cinches let me tighten the pack very far down so it fits comfortably and snug.

Overall, I give this pack a 10. It is pricey no doubt, but you will not find better quality or dependability from a pack. If you are an angler who likes to be on the move and still carry a lot of gear, this pack is perfect.
mcnerney, Gerard, bjj0725 and 3 others like this.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Cortland's New Premium Trout Fly Line
By itchmesir on 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Default Re: Orvis Guide Sling Pack

Nice review... but why can't orvis incorporate a water bottle holder into any of their sling packs??... Probably the most important item one should carry whenever out fishing... So instead a section of my bag must be wasted for water instead of more gear
By nick k on 01-31-2013, 09:58 AM

Ahhh. You will be happy to hear that it does actually include one. I knew I was missing something. There is a water bottle holder on the side of the pack with a stretchy adjustable cord that slips over it to keep it in place.

Also which I forgot to mention, the strap has a forcep holder pouch that is located on the portion sitting on your chest for easy access.
By mcnerney on 01-31-2013, 10:03 AM

Nick: Great job on the review. I have been looking at the Orvis Guide Sling Pack, but haven't pulled the trigger. I currently have the Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack, it is a little small and forces me to choose what I need to take out that particular day. The Guide Sling Pack would give me a lot more options, but I have been afraid that it will be too heavy, kind of why I got rid of my fishing vest, I just had to have everything including the kitchen sink.
By itchmesir on 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM

Is the guide sling itself water proof? or is there a waterproof pouch somewhere inside the bag?
By nick k on 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM

The pack itself is not waterproof but I believe it is water resistant, much like the original sling pack. The product description online may be able to confirm. From the looks and my assumptions, I wouldnt worry about it in the rain or if it took a quick dunk. The main compartment is lined with material that is obviously water resistant, if not waterproof. There are also zippered pockets within the main compartment on both side that are made of the same lining and would provide additional protection.

As I mentioned in the review, the Gale Force Sling is another great Orvis pack that is solid waterproof. When I go float tubing I use that and keep in behind the backrest sitting in an inch or two of water, none has ever got in.

Additionally, there is always plenty of room within the Guide Pack to store a separately purchased waterproof pouch.

mcnerney: I was also hesitant about buying it and wouldnt do so online because I wanted to see and feel it first and get a real view of its size. My local store got it in stock recently and I was instantly sold. The bag itself is not heavy at all, and the strap and portion that hits your back is padded. I am a small guy (5'8'' and about 140lb) and it is in no way a burden to me when filled up with all my gear.

The right side strap that secures it when casting is a new addition that wasnt present in the other packs and is a really great feature.
By thorsten on 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Thank you very much for this detailed report!!! I am looking for such a sling pack and your report helped me pretty much for my final decision
By psychologicalperch on 03-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Member reviews
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 100%

this is an excellent pack, I currently have two. They are rough and at the same time very light weight. They are completely worth their price.
By mcnerney on 03-16-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick k View Post
The pack itself is not waterproof but I believe it is water resistant, much like the original sling pack. The product description online may be able to confirm. From the looks and my assumptions, I wouldnt worry about it in the rain or if it took a quick dunk. The main compartment is lined with material that is obviously water resistant, if not waterproof. There are also zippered pockets within the main compartment on both side that are made of the same lining and would provide additional protection.

As I mentioned in the review, the Gale Force Sling is another great Orvis pack that is solid waterproof. When I go float tubing I use that and keep in behind the backrest sitting in an inch or two of water, none has ever got in.

Additionally, there is always plenty of room within the Guide Pack to store a separately purchased waterproof pouch.

mcnerney: I was also hesitant about buying it and wouldnt do so online because I wanted to see and feel it first and get a real view of its size. My local store got it in stock recently and I was instantly sold. The bag itself is not heavy at all, and the strap and portion that hits your back is padded. I am a small guy (5'8'' and about 140lb) and it is in no way a burden to me when filled up with all my gear.

The right side strap that secures it when casting is a new addition that wasnt present in the other packs and is a really great feature.
Nick: Thanks! I may just have to get the guide pack before fishing starts.
By Gerard on 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Member reviews
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
90%90%90%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 86%

I think these Orvis packs are great. I use mine on the flats, far better than a waist bag. Highly recommended.

P.S. Does anyone know what Orvis call the bar for loading the tippet reels on these packs???...can't find them on their website.
Comment

Review Tools