The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line
Cortland's New Premium Trout Fly Line
kwb
03-06-2013
Cortland on the Trout BOSS:

"The Trout BOSS Fly Line is our new premium trout line. We have used a new jacket material that utilizes Heat Dissipation Technology (HDT). HDT ensures minimal friction while false casting, improving line speed and distance. The unique AFFTA...
By fredaevans on 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Member reviews
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 94%
Default Re: Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Me too. Could it be he needs to snip off some of that long Dyna-Tip?
You may well have a good point. Spent the day fishing out of a drift boat on the upper Rogue so the line got a good work out. First, this (and it may the tip issue that Jackster brought up) Loaded on a Sage 7100XP so the rod was powerful enough, but the head is a very, very long taper (65 foot).

A ton of grains in that length (375?) so for a single hander line that's a LOT. But with a heavy fly the line just didn't want to pull that out of the water at short range. And that had to be the 35'ish foot mentioned above.

Once out to 50'ish, and a huge double haul, you saw the rod/line working just fine. Suspect it was the fishing situation that came into play here, and not so much the line. A WF of some sort may have been a better combo.

fae

End game of the day was I missed three ......
By burk48237 on 03-09-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just lined my Sage 7100 XP with a 7wt. A total re-learn how to cast with that long head. This is NOT a WF fly line; this is a cast at distance fly line. Lots of grains but over 65'ish feet but it will be a 'OK, this is going to take some time to get this one dialed in.'

If you're 'fishing short,' under 35 foot, take a pass. If you need to really chuck a fly a long way .... this is one to really consider.

The issue you have is the rod not the line. The Trout Boss is a true to size line. A Sage XP fishes (especially loading in close) better with an oversized line. The reason you can't feel it load in close is you have to have more of the line out to load that faster rod. They Sage XP's were cannons, but in close they needed to be over-lined to load up. A lot of the competitors lines and a few of our lines are either oversized or have short heads. Those lines perform better with an XP. I suspect the Cortland Western Drifter (1/2 size heavier ) would load that rod nicely, as would a Rio Grand or SA GPX.
By fredaevans on 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Member reviews
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
The issue you have is the rod not the line. The Trout Boss is a true to size line. A Sage XP fishes (especially loading in close) better with an oversized line. The reason you can't feel it load in close is you have to have more of the line out to load that faster rod. They Sage XP's were cannons, but in close they needed to be over-lined to load up. A lot of the competitors lines and a few of our lines are either oversized or have short heads. Those lines perform better with an XP. I suspect the Cortland Western Drifter (1/2 size heavier ) would load that rod nicely, as would a Rio Grand or SA GPX.
You may well have a 'BINGO' going here. Dear God, another eighty bucks 'on line.' Bad pun intended. OK, Ive the 'bucks,' what rod would you suggest for short casting with this line?
fae
By burk48237 on 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
You may well have a 'BINGO' going here. Dear God, another eighty bucks 'on line.' Bad pun intended. OK, Ive the 'bucks,' what rod would you suggest for short casting with this line?
fae
Hardy Zenith, Sage Z-Axis, Circca Winston B IIIx, BIIIt, WT, Scott G-Series, TFO Finesse should all load great with that line in the rated size. Most true to line size rods should work great with the Trout Boss. The super-fast rods like TCX and XP may give you some issues.
By sweetandsalt on 03-11-2013, 03:23 PM

Burk, The 1/2 size heavy factor aside, how similar are the Boss and Western Drifter in both Taper and Coating? I have the Drifter rigged for a #6 rod that needs it's extra mass and (this is not a delicate outfit) it works well though I do get a bit of kick 'n kink in the front of my loop from that thick thing on the front of tip of the line. Love the long head and rear taper though.
By fredaevans on 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Member reviews
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I think Burk has nailed it, as in down tight. Out today and casting rod/line at longer distances and thing just flew, even with a heavy fly on the business end. Another post above had the grain info and it was a 'Sweet Jesus,' this thing is a 2hander line posted up as a one hander.

Line grain weight would match up with a 5 or 6 wt mid-belly 2hander.

Me thinks? Well ... on occasion.
fae
By kwb on 03-13-2013, 04:26 AM

A line not wanting to pull a heavy fly out of the water at short range...

Perhaps speeding up your stroke would help a bit when you run into the shorter distances, worth a shot. You can do a lot to change the way a rod reacts to a line by modifying your stroke.
By Jackster on 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post

Perhaps speeding up your stroke would help a bit when you run into the shorter distances, worth a shot. You can do a lot to change the way a rod reacts to a line by modifying your stroke.
kwb, very good point. I'm not saying this is the case here but many times people don't vary their technique for different circumstances like distances and line weights and...
By fredaevans on 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Member reviews
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
kwb, very good point. I'm not saying this is the case here but many times people don't vary their technique for different circumstances like distances and line weights and...
You may very well be correct. My use of a single hander is 'few and far between.' All day's fishing was from standing in the bow section of a moving drift boat so not the most stable situation for someone a sniff short of 71.

Natt's DB doesn't have the forward knee brace you'd usually find so standing was a bit awkward.

fae
By fredaevans on 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Member reviews
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
90%90%90%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 94%
Exclamation Fred Was WRONG! Sooooo, wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post

You many be far more right than wrong. Post up today of my on our DB float his past Saturday and Nate's comment (to the effect) 61' and sitting down. Out today with the Sage 7100 XP and tried a different tack. With a one hander I usually 'spey cast with same (rod doesn't know-rod doesn't care) and with the slower stroke involved I was banging out like .... like I REALLLLYYY LIKE THIS LINE!

The tip off was an earlier post that had the grain weights at 30 feet and with the entire 65 foot head off the reel (and out the rod tip). Those kind of grains are what you'd expect (top end) out of a heavy 4wt or light 5 weight 2hander.

Same flies as Saturday and I was consistantly hitting the 75 - 85 foot mark with a bit of shooting line follow up reel to fly. Not bad for a 10' rod! Not bad at all. The thing with 2hander casting is 'slow is good!' Slower maybe even better. Somewhat counter intuitive with a singe hander rod.

fae
Comment

Review Tools