The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree3Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Camolux – Freshwater Fly Lines by RIO Products
Camolux – Freshwater Fly Lines by RIO Products
Published by fishingreviewstv
04-04-2013
Author review
Performance
70%70%70%
Build Quality
70%70%70%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
60%60%60%
Overall
70%70%70%
Average 72%
Default Camolux – Freshwater Fly Lines by RIO Products

Click the image to open in full size.

RIO is one of those fly line companies that have been around for what seems like forever. You can walk into any tackle shop and you can bet your first child that there will be an abundance of RIO lines, leaders and tippets. With a company like this it’s hard to believe that they’re still coming out with new things. Camolux is a relatively new line specifically made for lakes, for when you need a line to take you to the perfect depth without being seen.

The Camolux line is a clear camouflaged coloured line with a sink rate of between 1.5 and 2 inches per second. If you look closely to the line, it does indeed look like a brown/grey camouflage pattern with clear patches in-between.

Click the image to open in full size.

The first time I tried the Camolux, I picked a weapon from the arsenal, a 6 weight reel/rod combo, and went to a local lake. The winds were strong on this day and being pushed around in my little aluminum boat was becoming very trying. The Camolux line was proving to be effective even in these winds and I was still able to hit my targets with confidence. While on the retrieve I also noticed that the line was indeed difficult to see underwater. I was pretty happy so far that RIO’s camolux was living up to its claim.

The second time taking this line out I was with a small group of out on the Harrison. We had 3 rods, one being fit with the Camolux, the second with RIO gold and a heavy versitip leader and a third with a full sink line but at a much faster rate. We all had similar flies but it was the Camolux that was the champion. Trolling around the depth of 8 feet the camolux was having me sit perfectly in the top 6, barely brushing up against a weed bed. While others were snagging bottom I was basking in the glory of catching fish after fish. The hardest part of this day was trying to stay warm.

Whether you’re a fair weathered fisher or a trooper that can handle anything the skies give you, this line would be perfect for your lake fishing. Not only will it cut through wind with ease, it also keeps you at an ideal depth from small to large lakes, especially if you stay close to shore, over weed beds or in shallow bays. For clearer waters this line will keep you incognito as to not frighten skittish trout from being spooked. Thanks RIO for creating such a versatile line, this is definitely going to be a regular used line in my tackle box.

You can pick this up at any quality fishing shop, RIO products suggests a MSRP of $79.95, but a retailer may sell for less. To check out this product or any others on their website please visit Fly Lines, Leaders, and Tippets | RIO for more information. This may be the only intermediate sink line you need.
coug likes this.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Cortland's New Premium Trout Fly Line
By mcnerney on 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Default Re: Camolux – Freshwater Fly Lines by RIO Products

Nice review on the new RIO Comolux, but I hope you realize that Cortland has had their Camo Intermediate line out for a number of years and the stillwater guru Denny Rickards has been promoting that line for targeting trout cruising the shorelines of stillwaters for several years. Also Airflo has their Sixth Sense Intermediate for awhile now. I love RIO lines and have used them for a number of years, but to me RIO is just copying another vendors product idea by introducing a very slow sink intermediate (so there really isn't anything new).....just my opinion, not wanting to start an arguement or debate.
By mojo on 04-04-2013, 07:37 PM

I'm willing to try it. I've used Clear Camo since it came out. My biggest problem with it is the memory. One thing I wish the reviewer would have done is compare the two. Tried them side buy side for a few trips.

And I would also like to know what the "never mind, not worth the reply" meant. A good reviewer would welcome any type of remark, question or critique.
By Hardyreels on 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Hi Allen,

I didn't get that and saw it a meaningless.
By fishingreviewstv on 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Allen,

I didn't get that and saw it a meaningless.
I couldn't delete it, so thank you.
By Hardyreels on 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM

That's OK, whenever you want to delete a post; chose edit - then chose 'Go Advanced. There will be an option to delete the post right atop the page.

Ard
By runningfish on 04-05-2013, 01:47 PM

Is this the same line as the Rio AquaLuxs but in different colors?
By mcnerney on 04-05-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Is this the same line as the Rio AquaLuxs but in different colors?
No they are different lines, the Camolux has a sink rate on 1.5-2 inches/sec. The Aqualux is a full intermediate line (I couldn't find the sink rate on the Rio web site, they just said it is a great line for fishing the top 6 ft in shallow bays and along the shoreline, seems kind of strange they don't tell what the sink rate is, but I might have just missed it).
By runningfish on 04-05-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
No they are different lines, the Camolux has a sink rate on 1.5-2 inches/sec. The Aqualux is a full intermediate line (I couldn't find the sink rate on the Rio web site, they just said it is a great line for fishing the top 6 ft in shallow bays and along the shoreline, seems kind of strange they don't tell what the sink rate is, but I might have just missed it).
I went to Rio's website and found this page.
AquaLux - Freshwater Fly Lines | RIO

it says that the sink rate is 1.5-2.0 ips as well. So what would be the difference between them?

I just recently ordered a discontinued and discounted Rio Avid Intermediate clear line from backcountry.com for fishing deep ledge for bass of a boat. I wonder if this line is the same but the cheapo version of the Camo.
By fishingreviewstv on 04-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
That's OK, whenever you want to delete a post; chose edit - then chose 'Go Advanced. There will be an option to delete the post right atop the page.

Ard
That's not true actually no where on the page in Go Advanced do I see a delete.
Comment

Review Tools