The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree9Likes

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Orvis Battenkill II Click and Pawl Reel Review
A quick review of Orvis' new small click and pawl trout reel
almonde
07-07-2013
I recently decided i fancied a smaller lighter weight setup, previously my lightest setup was an 8'6" 5wt. I had my eye on the Orvis Superfine touch 8' 4wt. When i visited the local Orvis store and chatted to the manager there, he suggested that a 7'6" 3wt might suit better for the sort...
By jesser on 04-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Member reviews
Performance
100%100%100%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 92%
Default Re: Orvis Battenkill II Click and Pawl Reel Review

@ Shotgunfly: Having worked in manufacturing since 1991, and being intimately familiar with lathe, mill, grinding, EDM, plating, brazing, and welding, I can tell you that this reel can be made and sold at the price point I recommended of $149. Further, I travel extensively in China and throughout SE Asia, as well, while daily competing with China on manufactured goods. I know how China quote work.

I agree that US made reels cost more in general, but this is largely an issue of economies of scale and a price point people are willing to pay.

When Orvis set up manufacturing of the Battenkill reels in China, the price points were agreed to based on certain purchase quantities. Orvis has the clout in the marketplace to sell more of a certain line of reels than most companies. Because of this Orvis can agree to purchase quantities, over a specified length of time, that are higher than most reel manufacturers can. Now if Orvis takes those same quantities to a US manufacturer who utilize multi-axis CNC machines and mechanized riveters; add to that a company who builds and runs progressive stamping dies (as mine does); suddenly the US manufacturer is highly competitive.

Knowing what I do about offshored manufacturing, I am fairly confident Orvis did not do due diligence on US manufacturing opportunities for the Battenkill reel line, but rather compared the Chinese costs to making the reels in their own facilities or their existing domestic supply chain.

It is the supposition that US manufacturers can't compete that often prevents our opportunity to do so.

Thanks!
By Liphookedau on 04-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Member reviews
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
80%80%80%
Overall
80%80%80%
Average 80%

The Click & Pawl Reels were The only Reels any of us had many years ago They performed well for everyone we caught Truckloads of Fish on them however even though I still have quite a few a couple of which I only bought Late last year because they were both new or near new for $50 each,I now always use one of my Modern Reels.
I've been after a Vintage Hardy's Classic Dry Fly Rod which A departed mate's Son has which one of my Dad's ex -Fishing Mate's bought in England in The
40s or 50s.
One of my Old Reels would look really good on it.
Brian.
By hubcityflyman on 04-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Which one is best for 5wt?
By Liphookedau on 04-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Member reviews
Performance
80%80%80%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
80%80%80%
Overall
80%80%80%
Average 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityflyman View Post
Which one is best for 5wt?
Hi.
I was going to check The Capacities until I noticed The first Thread Shows The Chart with The Line Sizes & The Backing Capacities.
I'd go for The III because The II only Holds 50 Yards 20Lb Backing with a 5Wt Line whereas The III will hold 125 yards of Backing with The Same Line.
Brian
Comment

Review Tools