The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Dave scadden outlaw outfitter
Dave scadden outlaw outfitter
what do you think?
Published by natefish
07-30-2013
Author review
Performance
50%50%50%
Build Quality
50%50%50%
Appearance
70%70%70%
Value
50%50%50%
Overall
50%50%50%
Average 54%
Default Dave scadden outlaw outfitter

I purchased this boat from North Fork outdoors this past March. I did not receive the boat until mid may and since that time I have had nothing but problems. I am a full time fishing guide in NH and I've been trying to expand my business by adding drift trips. However the anchor system needed serious renovations. The oars seemed undersized. And recently the boat popped while I was rowing into the shore.

I'm I being overly critical of this boat? Or have others had similar problems with this boat or this company?
Featured Reviews
By fredaevans on 07-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Question Re: Dave scadden outlaw outfitter

What does the manufacture say?
By wjl on 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM
Member reviews
Performance
70%70%70%
Build Quality
50%50%50%
Appearance
80%80%80%
Value
60%60%60%
Overall
60%60%60%
Average 64%
Default Re: Dave scadden outlaw outfitter

I had his Renegade model and picked it up at his place here in Ogden. Nice guy and the price was right.
The boat did ok, it punctured easy. I ended up with 2 pin holes and 2 say little tears. This was in the first 4 months I had it. Same place on each side of the tubes, by the foot rest. I only wore old tennis shoes when fishing.
I did what I was told when I called put Aquseal on it and let it dry. Later on while sitting on the garage floor another one started under the seat.
Cut my losses and sold it.

I do not know if it was a bad batch of fabric or what? I keep my equipment inside and in a big action packer when not in use and my truck bed has a bed rug.
BTW color blue????
By mcnerney on 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM

Interesting issues. I have had an NFO Rampage for two years and put it through hell and back and it continues to perform flawlessly. I like to use my equipment and don't baby it, if you ever see my fly reels you will understand immediately. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another NFO boat, but I do realize however, that Dave does over extend himself and says he has accessories in stock when in fact he doesn't, then after the sale, he ships the boat and the new owner finds the accessories are on back order, not a very good business model.

Larry
By fredaevans on 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM

Per the Internet, the Seller has a 'very interesting' reputation. Proceed with caution?
By trout trekker on 08-02-2013, 06:09 PM

Interesting and timely piece of information. I was doing a little tire kicking on their site this morning and considering this very model ( Outlaw Outfitter ). Id be interested in how youre experience with their aftermarket customer service / resolutions to your boats woes gets handled.

Their smaller boats seem to get high marks by their owners, so Im just wondering aloud here. Maybe the sheer size, carrying capacity, etc of this model is pushing the limits of the fabric & components.

Natefish, please follow up with updates as time allows.

Thanks, TT
By von behr on 08-03-2013, 06:22 PM

I went with a Water Master several years ago, and it is very well made. When I contacted the company with questions before the purchase, everything was answered by the owner himself. Excellent product and customer service, and all made in Montana. It's something to consider. I've noticed Scadden's products are similarly priced as the Water Master. It shouldn't be leaking or popping.
Comment

Review Tools