The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Lamson Konic Reel
Published by Reactor
02-13-2008
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
ValueN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Default Lamson Konic Reel

I just purchased the Lamson Konic 2 reel. The first impression was that of the reels finish. It looks like bead blasted stainless steel although It isn't.
I decided to compar it directly against the Lamson Litespeed to determine if they maintained their quality and here is what I saw.
The finish is definitely different than the glossy Litespeed. It is an attractive reel none the less. The dull gray finish takes away from the tight lines of anodized aluminium. It seems to be more rugged and should hold up longer than the finish on the Litespeed.
The fit matches that of the more expesive Litespeed. I found no issues with the fit. The spool fit is tight and the clearances are uniform.
The drag is advertised to be the same as Lamsons other reels. I did not completely disassemble the drag but it appears that the Konic has the same roller clutch and drag material as the Litespeed. The only difference that appeared to me was that the Litespeed has an internal bearing that supports the spool shaft where is the Konic had a bronze bushing. I did not dig out the bushing to prove this but I could read the bearing numbers on the Litespeed and found no numbers on the Konic and it appeared to be a bushing instead of a bearing. The other difference in drag is that the Konic could not go as light as the Litespeed. This may be a function of wear but right now I cannot back of the drag as much as I can on the Litespeed. The drag does back out enough for what will be required of the reel but I just wanted to note the differences in reels.
I have to say for the price the Konic is definitely worth its money. In fact I think it is a great deal. You get super quality and a great drag for 1/2 the price of a comparable reel. I recommend this reel to anyone who needs a new one.

Lampson Konic Reel
Click the image to open in full size.
Featured Reviews
By FlyFishinIdaho on 03-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Default Re: Lamson Konic Reel

Excellent reel, just picked one up and only having one real year of fishing under my belt since retiring. It was a really nice upgrade from my Ross Flycast, quality if far better than anything out there for the money and holds its own against the $300 models.
By Joni on 03-30-2008, 02:09 PM

I think this reel does break all the rules. GREAT REEL FOR A GREAT PRICE. It don't get any better. I won't compare it to a Lite Speed, but again for the price The best of the best.
By FISHN50 on 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Was the smooth looking Drag adjustment knob easy to adjust with wet hands & does it look like it can snag line on a run...I need another salt water reel & I'm thinking about giving myself one because I think I deserve it. These were some of the questions posted earlier about the Konic & I was waiting for a tester to ask .
By BlueBird on 09-24-2008, 09:02 AM

I bought the Konic 3.5 loaded up with a 9 wt line. My friend took it for a stripper fishing and he was impressed with the reel. According to my friend, the drag holds up pretty well as compared with the higher end models.
By MoscaPescador on 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM

I would be concerned using the larger models on larger game. I used a Waterworks ULA 3X for Striped Bass in the local rivers and Baby Tarpon and Snook in the Northern Yucatan. These fish ranged from 2 to 25 pounds. I felt that the drag system could use a bit more stopping power. In higher settings, the drag jerked a bit.

The drag system on the Konic uses the same drag system as most of the Lamson and Waterworks models. It does not use the same cone and bearing as the Waterworks ULA Saltwater/Spey specific reels. The bearing and cone on the ULA S/S models are larger.

As a trout reel, the Konic is a great value. The drag system is more than adequate (it's pretty darn awesome). The only things that one sacrifices are machining quality (it's cast then machined) and finish.

MP
By mikeo on 06-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Great reel....at a great price....previous comments totally dead on.....so much so I can't add anything more
By creeker on 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM

I agree. I only wish they made a Konic 1. My 1.5 is just a bit to large for the 1wt. Overall, I fish the 1.5 from 3 to 5wt and love it.
By yatahey on 09-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Have no experience with the Konic but I just picked up a Velocity 1.5 on closeout for $127 delivered. I matched it with a Rio Trout LT WF line and will be giving it the royal treatment tomorrow on the Williams Fork.
By mcnerney on 09-16-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Have no experience with the Konic but I just picked up a Velocity 1.5 on closeout for $127 delivered. I matched it with a Rio Trout LT WF line and will be giving it the royal treatment tomorrow on the Williams Fork.
Yat: Good choice! You will like the drag system on the Lamson reels.

Larry
Comment

Review Tools