The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
  TLC: ABSOLUTELY most beautifull, Best Workmanship Nets
dgd
03-02-2008
When I saw this net it absolutely took my breath away. The cocobolo wood SIMPLY cannot have its beauty caught on camera. They now come with a net magnet attached made form the same exquisite wood at no extra charge.
They cost a tiny bit more than Brodin or Fisknat but to compare a...
By tlcrep on 05-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Default Re: TLC: ABSOLUTELY most beautifull, Best Workmanship Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydue4 View Post
I think a certain "somebody" should sell these nets in the NAFFF Forum Fly Shop
I have approached him on the idea, and commented that his super moderators are fierce supporters of Gregs nets, but he doesnt seem receptive.

As much as we all want to Support Steve's site I think you will have to go elsewhere (he doesnt seem receptive ). The good news is almost everyshop I visit (only 1 has given me a no, every other shop has ordered or said they will order when their inventory of other nets gets low) has wanted our nets, so you will soon be able to find a Tropical Lightning Creation net at your nearby flyshop (if you live west of the mississippi) or be able to mail order one from a shop. I have hit up California, net is oregon and washington, then states to the east.
The bigger shops west of the mississippi and even canada will also be hit up by me.

Dont Dispair, TLC will soon be as popular as Brodin and Fisknat, in fact shops tell me TLC is a no brainer compared to the other brands.
Steve, sales rep for Tropical lightning creations, in a fly shop new you soon!
Dont forget our net magnets, made of the same hawaiian woods with a retail price of $16
fly_rep@yahoo.com
By tlcrep on 05-08-2008, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttexas90 View Post
Where can you purchase these nets
Feel free to email Greg, but remember he is a MASTER CRAFTSMAN, hard at work getting these nets and net magnets out to his customers,in his previous job made heirloom furniture with hawaiian woods. He is in the shop busy creating net and net magnet for the tons of shops I am getting for him (to give you a idea, in the last year or so he only had 2 fly shops on the west coast, and in the couple of months I have worked as a rep for him he has about 10.
Feel free to email me any questions to fly_rep@yahoo.com, so Greg can stay busy building nets for you customers!

Remember, our net mags made of his awesome hawaiian woods are only $16 retail! Compare this to up to $30 for a orvis net mag made of ugly metal! Feel free to email me any questions since Greg is hard at work getting these nets made for you.
Steve, fly_rep@yahoo.com
By truchas on 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM

Forgive my ignorance about these things. Please bear in mind that I have only been fly fishing for a month or so. Is there any advantage in using these nets over, let's say, a $5 one? Are they better for the fish (or fisherperson)? Are they lighter? Or they just make fisherperson feel better because they own a more expensive gadget? If there are no advantages, other than esthetics, why spend anywhere from $40 to 150 on something that it is going to endure some abuse like hitting rocks, be exposed to sunlight or soaked in salty water (even freshwater is salty) and smell like fish the minute it serves its purpose? Besides, is it good to use a net? From what I have been reading, there is no consensus on the issue, is there? Please try to be informative with your response to see if I can learn something new. One thing is for sure, these nets are really an "eye candy".

Thanks,

Truchas.
By tlcrep on 05-08-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truchas View Post
Forgive my ignorance about these things. Please bear in mind that I have only been fly fishing for a month or so. Is there any advantage in using these nets over, let's say, a $5 one? Are they better for the fish (or fisherperson)? Are they lighter? Or they just make fisherperson feel better because they own a more expensive gadget? If there are no advantages, other than esthetics, why spend anywhere from $40 to 150 on something that it is going to endure some abuse like hitting rocks, be exposed to sunlight or soaked in salty water (even freshwater is salty) and smell like fish the minute it serves its purpose? Besides, is it good to use a net? From what I have been reading, there is no consensus on the issue, is there? Please try to be informative with your response to see if I can learn something new. One thing is for sure, these nets are really an "eye candy".

Thanks,

Truchas.
I wont comment on tlc nets, but nets in this range, such as brodin, fisknat, and us. Yes, you WANT to use a rubber netting. It protects the fishes slime layer. Plus a $10 walmart net, will be made in pakistan, have a very small hoop (the round hoop where you scoop the fish), smaller that the smallest teardrop nets compared to tlc or its competitors. A walmart net is fine for netting small trout 7-12 inches long, but if you get a 17 incher you are out of luck. If you do just catch fish 7-12 inches, and you dont mind buying a pakistani product, or a product from walmart and not supporting your local fly shop, by the $10 walmart net, but also buy a rubber netting with instructions on how to replace the netting. That will cost you about $20.
By Joni on 05-08-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Truchas.

Although I have the long handle and the short handle, as does my Hubby, in answer to your question....probably more for the Fishing Person. I used one of the Walmart nets with the ruler in the bottom (which is not that accurate because of the girth taking up inches) for years.
Gregory and I have been friends for years and he sent me one as a Birthday gift. I LOVE IT, as I do the outdoors and my gear, because of it's beauty and it's one of a kind aspect. I do admit, I like the finer things, but nothing wrong with setting your goals high.
The nets are user friendly. Easy on the fish, specially the shallow C&R's and HOOKS do NOT get caught in them or fall through the holes.
Well balanced, and water really doesn't effect them like less expensive nets I have had. The wood is from Hawaii!
I also have two of Greg's wooden fly boxes, one I will auction off here after I get the foam flies. Along with his magnetic rod holders and net keepers, it is ART! And something you can be proud of and even hand it down through the ages. Think how cool it would be to have your Great Grandfathers Creole or a net.
Fishing is my life so to me a pair of $300. Polorized Glass Sunglasses are a must and to me these nets are very reasonably priced.
By tlcrep on 05-13-2008, 01:36 AM
Default for those that love TLC NETS

Hi, I my name is Steve and I am the only sales rep for TLC. Greg is busy 24/7 making nets for all of you and all the fly shops I am getting as dealers. We do not have a current catalog or pictures of our nets. I dont expect any of you to do this for me, but Greg is a awesome guy so I am sure many will want to help Greg out.
We need high resolutions pictures that really show off Gregs nets, hopefully just the net with no background, or as little background as possible so that those that know how go can take out the background.

We need pictures of Cocobolo and koa, (mango too) in catch and release and tear drop, hopefully with the net magnets on them, and also guide or any of the float tubes. At our prices Greg is by no means rich, but send a picture with your name and I will relay it to Greg and you will get his gratitude and good kharma.

Greg is a very generous person and I know he has given out various nets to people for free, and if those people could kindly take a nice picture that a dealer could use on their web site I would be gratefull and I am sure Greg would be as well.

Please send any pictures to tlcrep@gmail.com
By truchas on 06-02-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Although I have the long handle and the short handle, as does my Hubby, in answer to your question....probably more for the Fishing Person. I used one of the Walmart nets with the ruler in the bottom (which is not that accurate because of the girth taking up inches) for years.
Gregory and I have been friends for years and he sent me one as a Birthday gift. I LOVE IT, as I do the outdoors and my gear, because of it's beauty and it's one of a kind aspect. I do admit, I like the finer things, but nothing wrong with setting your goals high.
The nets are user friendly. Easy on the fish, specially the shallow C&R's and HOOKS do NOT get caught in them or fall through the holes.
Well balanced, and water really doesn't effect them like less expensive nets I have had. The wood is from Hawaii!
I also have two of Greg's wooden fly boxes, one I will auction off here after I get the foam flies. Along with his magnetic rod holders and net keepers, it is ART! And something you can be proud of and even hand it down through the ages. Think how cool it would be to have your Great Grandfathers Creole or a net.
Fishing is my life so to me a pair of $300. Polorized Glass Sunglasses are a must and to me these nets are very reasonably priced.
Dear Joni,

Sorry for the delayed response. I think that your post summarizes the strong points of such a high end product. Very concisely and graciously, you made me think of several reasons to buy one of these nets. I really appreciated the alternative point of view, which of course, I had not even considered ;-). I really appreciated your response. And as you said: "it is ART!", and you cannot put price on art. I think that you could actually become a succesful sales rep for these (and obviously other) products. I am sure that Gregory would really like to have you on his team.

Thanks,

Truchas.
By tlcrep on 06-02-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Dear Joni,

Sorry for the delayed response. I think that your post summarizes the strong points of such a high end product. Very concisely and graciously, you made me think of several reasons to buy one of these nets. I really appreciated the alternative point of view, which of course, I had not even considered ;-). I really appreciated your response. And as you said: "it is ART!", and you cannot put price on art. I think that you could actually become a succesful sales rep for these (and obviously other) products. I am sure that Gregory would really like to have you on his team.

Thanks,

Truchas.
He is right. You should quit guiding and be a rep. Greg can probably get you Shelbyville rods (tho you have to buy the rods, most rod company's with so few income give you the rods on loan), and I can get you a couple of small accessory product lines.

Working as a guide and rep'ing never works tho, you have to be a rep full time. If you are thinking of being a rep, email Cortland, they might have a opening, and they pay for your gas, until just recently paid for your hotel and food too. Hardy is also splitting from Cortland so Hardy and Greys are hiring in all territories.
Comment

Review Tools