The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tridentfly

Closed Review

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
2014 5-weight Shootout: Fly Rod Review and Test
2014 5-weight Shootout: Fly Rod Review and Test
Published by tridentfly
06-06-2014
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
ValueN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Default 2014 5-weight Shootout: Fly Rod Review and Test

Click the image to open in full size.

Following the success of our 8-weight reel challenge, we wanted to take on a different aspect of the industry – this time one that has had a lot written about it – fly rods. Magazines, fly shops, bloggers… virtually everyone has an opinion on what, or who, makes the best fly rod. So, we decided to join the crowd. But, in typical Trident fashion, we’re going to take a different twist on the traditional fly rod review. As always, this shootout will be completely data driven, and we’re going to give you better and more objective results than you’ve seen anywhere else.

Know more...2014 5-weight Shootout: Fly Rod Review and Test / Trident Fly Fishing
trikeflyer and winstonwt like this.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Cortland's New Premium Trout Fly Line
By mojo on 06-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Default Re: 2014 5-weight Shootout: Fly Rod Review and Test

Nice to see a shootout with regular anglers participating. I think they also should have listed the top rods by angler age and experience. 3 total lists.
By mcnerney on 06-06-2014, 07:31 AM

Very interesting approach to doing a 5 wt shootout, I really liked the fact they used a mix of regular guys and a few pros. Mojo makes a good point, it would be very interesting to see those results broken down further by age and experience. I was really surprised to see the Sage One so low on the list, seeing how everyone seems to be so fascinated with fast action rods these days.
By labradorguy on 06-06-2014, 09:46 AM

I feel like I am the only guy on the planet who doesn't like GPX....
By winstonwt on 06-06-2014, 09:57 AM

Excellent test and results guys,great job.
By tridentfly on 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM

I've moved this thread over to Fly Rods, where the other shootouts are. If one of the Mods could close this thread, I'd appreciate it!
By runningfish on 06-06-2014, 10:42 AM

I kinda agree with the result.
I am eyeing on the Streamflex and Jet 6wt to fill in the gap between my 4wt and 8wt Zenith beside the Predator. The Vapen 6wt that I had was a stiff fast rod and although it was super fun to cast and fish, I wouldn't want that stiffness in the 5wt.

I am not surprised either why the Sage One wasn't in the top 3, having cast a 5wt once I found it too stiff even for a stiff guy like me. The only Sage One that I would buy will be the 4wt or 5wt 11'6" switch rod.

I like this close to real life shootout, this isn't a fantasy shoot.

I might gonna buy a switch rod from you guys if you had a 4wt and 5wt switch rod contest.

Great job guys.
Closed Review

Review Tools