The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By bigjim5589

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Uintah Fly Shop Flies
Uintah Fly Shop Flies
Published by bigjim5589
02-23-2015
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build Quality
100%100%100%
Appearance
100%100%100%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
100%100%100%
Average 100%
Default Uintah Fly Shop Flies

The good folks at Uintah Fly Shop of Salt Lake City, Utah, Justin & Richard Dickerson, offered sample flies in exchange for honest reviews of their shop tied flies. I responded, and being quite particular about fly quality I didn't know what to expect, given that many shops claim to tie high quality flies. I was pleasantly surprised.

The flies I received were as follows:
1 Rainbow Warrior #18
1 Rainbow Warrior #20
1 Rainbow Warrior #22
1 Adams Variant dry fly #14
1 Elk Hair Caddis Tan dry fly #14
1 Elk Hair Caddis Grey dry fly #14
1 Deer Hair Caddis dry fly #14
1 Adams Parachute dry fly #14
1 Adams Irresistible dry fly #14
1 Eastern Green Drake dry fly #14
1 Partridge & Orange soft hackle #14

I pulled, and tugged on each & every one, and every part of each remained intact. The proportions are all very good and except for a bit of crowding of the hook eye on the parachute Adams I found them all to be tied extremely well. The hook eye on that Adams was also clogged a bit with head cement, but IMO, that's not a reason to shun such a fly. Even though that can be an annoyance, it's not difficult to clean a hook eye. It also appeared as if all the flies were carefully cemented, which is not often evident on flies of lesser quality. All the tag ends of the tying thread had been carefully cut too, another indication that there was some care in tying them.

The only test I wasn't able to perform was actually taking them out to the water & catching some fish on them. I'm sure that will be done in due time.

Based on these samples and my own 48 years of tying, I would have no qualms about recommending these flies to anyone and certainly would have no issue with using such flies myself! I would expect them to be durable & perform as well as they look!
Featured Reviews
By mcnerney on 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Default Re: Uintah Fly Shop Flies

Jim: Thanks for the review on Unitaflyshop flies!

Quote: "The hook eye on that Adams was also clogged a bit with head cement, but IMO, that's not a reason to shun such a fly".

I totally agree, and seeing that cement says a lot to me, they are taking the time to put cement on their flies in an attempt to make the flies more durable, not just tying production and cutting corners. Kudos to the guys at Unita Fly Shop!
By ia_trouter on 02-23-2015, 07:05 PM

I purchased a dozen dries to use as patterns as I like to tie my own. I was particularly interested in the BWO and Adams patterns as they work in the Driftless Region. I have purchased inexpensive internet flies before and I was not confident I would receive quality flies for such a low price. The flies I received are not just "good for the price". They are the same as what I get when I hand pick flies from a shop selection at twice the price or more.

Size availability is a problem for me unfortunately. My area requires dry flies that are a size or so smaller than what Uintah offers. Their current selection is most appropriate for Western streams IMO. As I said, I needed patterns to copy and they meet that goal perfectly. If they offered the sizes I need I wouldn't bother tying many dries as I won't be good at it soon.
By matthew91711 on 04-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Thumbs up Re: Uintah Fly Shop Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
I purchased a dozen dries to use as patterns as I like to tie my own. I was particularly interested in the BWO and Adams patterns as they work in the Driftless Region. I have purchased inexpensive internet flies before and I was not confident I would receive quality flies for such a low price. The flies I received are not just "good for the price". They are the same as what I get when I hand pick flies from a shop selection at twice the price or more.

Size availability is a problem for me unfortunately. My area requires dry flies that are a size or so smaller than what Uintah offers. Their current selection is most appropriate for Western streams IMO. As I said, I needed patterns to copy and they meet that goal perfectly. If they offered the sizes I need I wouldn't bother tying many dries as I won't be good at it soon.
i fish california. i order my flies from Barnsley Fly Company out of northern california. theyre all hand tied, my only complaint is that i cant get paterns like extended body.
By mcnerney on 04-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Jim: Thanks for taking the time to do the review on Unitaflyshop flies!

I just want to point out that Justin stepped up to the plate and donated 50 fly boxes with his shop's logo on them to the Casting for Recovery and Project Healing Waters drive that we were conducting, so Kudos to Justin for helping out like he did. They are a great business to support considering that they are supporting the forum as a business member.
By uintahflyshop on 04-26-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Jim: Thanks for taking the time to do the review on Unitaflyshop flies!

I just want to point out that Justin stepped up to the plate and donated 50 fly boxes with his shop's logo on them to the Casting for Recovery and Project Healing Waters drive that we were conducting, so Kudos to Justin for helping out like he did. They are a great business to support considering that they are supporting the forum as a business member.
I am very grateful to everyone here for taking the time to review our product. My Dad and I take great pride in putting out a quality product. Our quality review process would make many Fortune 500 companies feel inadequate. If it's a fly we did ourselves, I can guarantee you it doesnt leave here unless its perfect. And if one of our tiers produces a dozen we find to be flawed, we tell them its time to work elsewhere. I have 7,000 flies on hand and I'd put them up against the big boys any day. So I thank all of you for validating the pride we have in our business.

And as usual, the product doesnt carry a simple guarantee. It carries our hard work and sweat equity. it will be right or we will make it right. Period. Best, Justin
Comment

Review Tools