The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wjc

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Camelbak Octane 18X
Camelbak Octane 18X
Published by wjc
07-01-2015
Author review
Performance
100%100%100%
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
Value
100%100%100%
OverallN/A
Average 100%
Default Camelbak Octane 18X

I have worn backpacks for weeks at a time from Maine to Colorado to SE Asia while fishing and hunting in remote areas without trails and on many long range recons in SE Asia. This was from age 15- 40. All these packs were very heavy.

I spent many hours researching these things on the internet, as I had never used one before, and settled on the Camelbak Octane 18X. Price was not a consideration in my search for what I thought would suit my needs.

My experience with the Camelbak is very limited and concerns only comfort while wade fishhing for bonefish in Andros - far removed from a source of water.

It holds 2 liters of water
It weighs 1 1/2 lbs dry.
It has comfortable waist belt with small item pouches, and an adjustable chest cross-strap to hold the shoulder straps where they are comfortable.
The hose can be attached to either shoulder strap.
The valve to suck on the water works very easily, doesn't leak and can be shoved into a little pouch where it won't foul fly line.
The water bag has a huge fill cap through which my entire hand easily fits for cleaning and adding ice cubes,
The bag is easily removed and replaced,
There is ample room for lightweight rain gear, bug juice, sandwiches flies etc.

But most importantly to me is that it is streamlined to sit on the back without impeding even a very open, salt water style casting stroke and can be worn even if using a stripping basket.

The only thing I needed to get used to was that I had ice cold water available without even breaking my stride or taking my eyes off the flats.

It appears to be well made. I cannot attest to its durablity only to the fact that I found it well suited to wading flats in very hot, dry, windy conditions.

I paid $69. for mine on sale, likely because it is a very gaudy couple of colors. Actually good for me, since it is easy to find.

Having used it, albeit only for a short time, I would buy another at better than double the price if I were planning to do more ground-covering wading, or even just standing for hours on a flat.

This was an excellent excellent bargain in my view.
mridenour likes this.
Featured Reviews
Comment

Review Tools