The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 10 Post By shaunsquid
  • 1 Post By weiliwen

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Cutthroat Leaders
Cutthroat Leaders
Published by shaunsquid
Author review
Build Quality
Average 100%
Default Cutthroat Leaders

It has taken me a while to post about this, but here it is.

At the beginning of summer I bought a few leaders from Cutthroat. I used them all summer and could not be happier with them. First of all, the customer service was incredible. I mistakenly ordered leaders without tippet rings, emailed the company, and they threw in a little bit of everything free of charge so I can could see what I like.

I love the tippet rings and I love furled leaders. I am fairly new at fly fishing so I am still working on my knot tying. The tippet ring really helps me get back on the water quickly. The leaders float well when greased with the Otter Butter. I was wet wading up in Oregon at the end of July and was presenting small drys to rainbows. They rolled out perfectly and I ended up hooking into a half dozen in about 2 hours.

Cutthroat's leaders have been backpacking with me and I cannot tell you how nice they have been for long treks. I don't have to worry about bringing a bunch of tapered leaders (remember those knot skills?). One dry leader, one nymph and I am good to go.

I think Cutthroat has made a lifelong customer out of this newbie.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Cortland's New Premium Trout Fly Line
By ejsell on 09-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Default Re: Cutthroat Leaders

Just ordered my first last night. Can't wait to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By weiliwen on 09-23-2015, 02:08 PM

I'm also a fan of theirs. I cannot compare to other makers, as they're the only ones I've used, but I certainly have been pleased by the quick turnaround on orders as well as the quality of the leaders.

By the way, I noticed something about furled leaders while casting this past weekend. I've read a few folks complain about their furled leaders spraying water out while false casting, and I never had this problem, and couldn't understand what I was doing to avoid it. Well, this weekend, I started using a brand new furled leader, and did indeed see the spray. I then realized that I had not treated the (thread) furled leader with no-sink, Otter butter, or whatever is used. I think the thread doesn't absorb the water when it is treated with it. Until last weekend, I'd never NOT treated my leader before use. I cannot swear this is the answer to the issue, but it seems to have helped in my case.
By fredaevans on 09-23-2015, 05:58 PM

"...spraying water out while false casting,... ??

Save for getting your line out in the beginning, why all the false cast's? See guys doing that on the river and take a march down stream. Idiots all.
By shaunsquid on 09-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Yeah, if you do not treat the leader it can spray for sure. Once treated, I did experience the all day float that they boast. A+.

I have done extra false casts to dry out my fly before. Also, I am still learning to gauge distance for casts that have to be extremely accurate. Sometimes doing a false cast or two helps me eyeball if I have the right amount of line out to place the fly where I want it.

Review Tools