Dakota Watch Company ANGLER III

Curtis

Reaction score
Dakota Watch Company ANGLER III
Product Review

Not too often you see a product review on something other then items directly used to put a fly in front of the fish but this one has got to be seen. I recently had the pleasure of receiving what has to be the coolest tool for flyfishermen I have seen in a long time. From the Dakota Watch Company, who are renowned back east for making amazing time pieces, comes the ANGLER III.

When I received the watch, or should I say flyfishing tool with a nice watch neatly tucked into it, I was very impressed. Lightweight and handsome to boot. I was surprised at the amount of helpful tools that could be included in this compact package. Below is a list taken direct from the company;

• Integrated Hook Sharpener
• Attached Stainless Steel Nippers
• Integrated Retrac Mechanism
• 100 Feet Water Resistant
• Powerful LED Microlight
• "Cuff Clip" with "Audible Security Click"
• Black Moonlglow Electro Luminescent Dial
• Plastic and Aluminum Construction
• Silver Accents on Black Case
• Calendar Display
• Integrated Superior Compass
• Oversized EZ Touch Buttons
• Luminescent Hands and Hour Markers

Like I said, it has it all. The clip is like those ones you use for rock climbing and is very secure. I would not worry one bit about this one coming off as it is very well made. There is a great zinger that has what feels like the perfect tension and retracts faithfully even after a thousand pulls. Add to this zinger the great pair of nippers that come with the package and you have a winner. There is also a compass tucked in there that is exact in it's directions. I for one need this as I tend to get myself lost in the Uintas, ALL THE TIME!!! The Watch is small enough to not be obtrusive but large enough to view with a quick glance. Has a very nice moonglow function for use at night. Also in there is a very handy LED light for those night fishing escapades. On the side is the hook sharpener which I did not get to utilize as of yet but can say it is very strategic and out of the way. You would not even know it exists until you go looking for it.

I just have to say, this is one that I can say will help each one of us to stay organized and safe. It will assist in the area it is designed for perfectly and hey, it is another piece of gear!! You know we like gear. The watch of course is waterproof and I don't think anyone is capable of getting this one to leak, especially not at the depths we utilize it in, and that is good because I tend to "swim" frequently on my outings. This watch alone is a great deal at the MSRP of $65.00 but it even comes with a great fly box. The box is completely waterproof and floats so it could also be used to keep those valuables safe and dry on the trips. Deep enough to fit a camera or your wallet and keys. If you are interested in checking one out, get ahold of this company at

Dakota Watch Company

Attachments

dougm

Reaction score
Which model do you like ... They have a II and a III. The II is 10 bucks more ... worth it?

Doug

Curtis

Reaction score
dougm said:
Which model do you like ... They have a II and a III. The II is 10 bucks more ... worth it?

Doug
The III is nicer, imo, and has more features. Don't know why they are less $, maybe just because they have mastered the watch. Strange. Anyway, yeah, I like the III.

Reaction score
The watch pictured is an Angler II as the Angler III is smaller (even though it has relatively the same features as the II) and Dakota has since raised the price to $90 retail for the II and $70 retail for the III. Can be had on eBay routinely for about $65 for the II ($25 under retail). The top watch is the Angler II and the lower watch is the Angler III.

View attachment 1556

View attachment 1557

Attachments

axle27

Reaction score
I didn't know that this company was still around. I bought a watch from them years ago. Nice piece. It needs a battery, but the store closed about a year after I bought it.

They do make good stuff.

Reaction score
The battery is a standard and quite common, flat, "pancake" battery and can be replaced at a jewelry or watch repair kiosk at any mall. Hope this helps.

Dixiejack

Reaction score
I bought an Angler II on sale from Orvis. The compass needle pointed what ever direction the belt loop end pointed. The watch gained five minutes every 3 weeks. Orvis took it back and refunded the extra shipping along with the price of the watch. I like the style and features of the watch---just wished it worked.