The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 Weight
Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 Weight
Published by MoscaPescador
10-14-2010
Author review
Performance
90%90%90%
Build Quality
80%80%80%
Appearance
90%90%90%
Value
100%100%100%
Overall
90%90%90%
Average 90%
Default Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 Weight

Throughout the summer, I was able to pry my girlfriend, Cora's, 7'6" 3 weight Redington Classic Trout out of her hands. The CT is her creek rod. Of the two rods that she owns (the other being a 5 weight Sage Launch), her CT is her favorite.

Casting
Like other CT rods reviewed, the 7'6" 3 weight model is a true moderate action rod. With the WF3F Cortland Platinum line, the blank flexed all the way down to the rod handle. Laying down size 12 to 20 dry flies with my skilled casting stroke was effortless. The CT even layed down nice presentations with Cora's not so skilled casting stroke. Meaning? This rod's forgiving action will reward the inexperienced, as well, as the experienced casters.

As for accuracy, it was on par with most other short rods. I was able to accurately roll out some casts from 15' to 20'. When overhead casting, the rod shined within 30'. As long as I did not overpower it, the CT could be casted further accurately.

Even though a 7'6" 3 weight is mostly a dry fly rod, it was interesting to see what else it could throw. Last Sunday, the trout at a local tailwater would not touch dries or dead drifted nymphs. Cora and I resorted to swinging buggers. I tied on a #12 moderately weighted Woolly Bugger. On the backcast, I could feel the line and fly giving the blank a good tug, but it did not have that jerky feel that is associated with overloaded rods.

Fishing
Being a lightweight rod, the 7'6" 3 weight CT has a very sensitive feel. When a fly is taken even by small fish, the sensation of the grab from fly through leader though rod to hand is immediate. It does not have that dead feeling that is often associated with price pointed rods.

Thanks to the moderate action, the CT has plenty of shock absorption and backbone for fine tippets and strong fish. On mine and Cora's outings, we have not had a break off with 5x and 6x tippets. The largest fish that was brought in so far was a 16" Rainbow Trout. The rod has enough backbone.

Fit and Finish
Like most Redingtons, the fit and finish is nice, but it doesn't stand out like the fit and finishes of premium rods. The CT comes in a glossy finish called Classic Brown. The wraps around the titanium oxide guides are clean. The ferrules stayed in place. The reel seat held the matching Redington Drift 2/3 reel in place. The Portuguese cork is on par with most price pointed rods. After a summer's worth of use, Cora's CT has the average amount of pitting.

Final Thoughts
The 7'6" 3 weight CT is a true moderate action rod. It is a good fit for someone who has a slower stroke. For someone with a quicker stroke, the caster will have to slow his/her stroke down to take full advantage of the moderate action.

The Classic Trout is a rare find. It casts well. It fishes well. It is well made. Best of all, it can be bought through most Redington retailers for $129.

Edit (10/26): The 2011 pricing went into effect on 10/1. The cost of any 4 piece CT rod is now $149.95.
Featured Reviews
Read more
Cortland Trout BOSS Fly Line

Cortland's New Premium Trout Fly Line
By BigCliff on 10-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Default Re: Redington Classic Trout 7'6" 3 Weight

Good stuff, and just as I would have expected.

I think the 7.5' 3wt is a great option for someone wanting a fine rod for those occasions where a 3wt works without having to spend alot. It should make a marvelous back-country cutt/brookie/golden rod, and being a shorter 4pc, extremely packable as well.
By jpbfly on 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM

Great and precise review DennisI've been thinking about buying a short rod for a while...haven't decided yet ...looks like this one would be good choice
By FrankB2 on 10-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks Dennis! I've been waiting for your review of the smaller CT. Between you and Cliff, I might have to spend a whole $129. I have a list of other items I'd like for you to review......LOL!!!!
By MoscaPescador on 10-14-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I have a list of other items I'd like for you to review......LOL!!!!
Actually, I have a rod that I'm going to try out a rod that is affectionately called the "Death Star."

MP
Last edited by MoscaPescador; 10-14-2010 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: typo
By cattech89 on 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Great review Dennis! I really like the CT and will probably buy this exact rod in the future so Im glad you reviewed it. Very balanced and to the point. Keep up the good work.
Comment

Review Tools