The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Pflueger President fly reel
Published by Shane Stroud
12-20-2008
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
ValueN/A
OverallN/A
Average N/A%
Default Pflueger President fly reel

I loaded my reel with 80 yards of Hook and Hackle backing and 100 feet of Monic 8 wt (WF8F) clear floating fly line. I put it on a British made Shakespeare 9 foot, 8 wt Atlantis fly rod.

Overall, it's a fairly solid reel, about what I have come to expect from Pflueger. I own several of their reels and this one is right about the same quality.

Pros:
Drag adjustment is fairly easy.
Action is smooth and tight.
Fit and finish is good, but no frills. No fancy engraving or anything like that.

Cons:
For the cost, I would expect silent retrieve. This reel uses a spring loaded plastic pin for a clicker. If I didn't want the noise, I could disassemble it and pull the pin out.
Featured Reviews
By Shane Stroud on 12-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Default Re: Pflueger President fly reel

I had typed more in an edit and didn't get it submitted in time or something like that, but I can summarize.

It's a reasonably good reel for bass fishing, but there are better reels for less money. At an average cost of $140, it's not what I would call a good deal. The use of a plastic pin clicker and lack of silent retrieve puts it firmly in the sub $100 category in my book.
By hardhat on 01-25-2009, 01:46 PM

I beleive there is tool that comes with the reel so as you can remove the pin and make the reel silent. A reel making a clicking sound is not a matter of quality but of choice.
By FrankB2 on 01-25-2009, 05:16 PM

I have a few $60 Okuma SLV reels with silent retrieve, and a few Ross
Evolution reels with a very noisy incoming click. My Orvis BBS reels have an incoming click, and it sounds better than the Ross click. I dunno.........
By Shane Stroud on 01-26-2009, 03:08 PM

There is a tool that comes with the reel so it can be disassembled. But that's not really the point. It's a two-fold issue. First, the clicker pin is cheap, flimsy plastic. Second, there are cheaper reels that have silent retrieve but audible drag.

At about $140, I would expect more. As fly reels go, it's relatively cheap, so don't get me wrong. It's a nice reel. It's just not $140 worth of nice.
By hardhat on 01-29-2009, 10:27 PM

I do not own a Pfueger fly reel nor have I ever used one. After reading your review I went on some of the sites where people who use them for steelhead review them. I was surprised by your review so I thought that I would comment on what you originally posted. Yes there a zillion and one choices when it comes to fly reels. And there are a zillion and one reviews. However I felt your review was too personalized and lacking accurate data.
By WANTONJ on 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Re: Pflueger President fly reel

I could not resist to put in my 2 cents worth of a comment,I own 5 of these reels,1 Trion Mod 1990 up to 8 WT, 4 Presidents ,3 of a Mod 2078 up to 8 WT, 1 of a Mod 2012 up to 12 WT, and some spare spools,the only difference between the President and the Trion is the weight the President being the lighter of the two,I bought all of these on sale , the Mod 2012 sells for about 160.00 I payed 125.00 so the prices were good,I had all of these apart and put some Quantum Hot Sauce oil and lube when they were new,these reels and very well made and the tolerance's are very tight, the machining is of very good quality and the finish is excellent ,the drag on all of these reels is more than I will ever need,they are also well balanced ,a few times I have hooked up with some large Bass the ones that strip a lot of line and theses reels are smooth with no vibration,the reels main shaft has two bearings the inner bearings are ball and the outer bearings are roller that is why the spools have very little movement in them,I checked this with a dial indicator all readings were from .001 to .002. All my rods are over reeled,the Mod 2012 is on a 10 WT saltwater Extreme rod and the Mod 2078s are on 4 WT to 7 WT rods, I like more weight in my hand and plenty of backing .

have a good and safe day,

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Services,Valley Springs Calif.
By WANTONJ on 02-15-2009, 01:28 PM

One thing I forgot to mention is the clicker pin,the pin is made from Nylon not Plastic,the reason being is to be softer than the metal in the reel spool,that way the clicker pin wears and not the detent holes in the spool , these reels come with a tool and an extra clicker pin ,if you put a little Quantum lube in the detent holes on the back of the spool that pin will last for a long time.

have a good and safe day.

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Service, Valley Springs Calif.
By WANTONJ on 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM

I could not resist to put in my 2 cents worth of a comment,I own 5 of these reels,1 Trion Mod 1990 up to 8 WT, 4 Presidents ,3 of a Mod 2078 up to 8 WT, 1 of a Mod 2012 up to 12 WT, and some spare spools,the only difference between the President and the Trion is the weight the President being the lighter of the two,I bought all of these on sale , the Mod 2012 sells for about 160.00 I payed 125.00 so the prices were good,I had all of these apart and put some Quantum Hot Sauce oil and lube when they were new,these reels and very well made and the tolerance's are very tight, the machining is of very good quality and the finish is excellent ,the drag on all of these reels is more than I will ever need,they are also well balanced ,a few times I have hooked up with some large Bass the ones that strip a lot of line and theses reels are smooth with no vibration,all my rods are over reeled,the Mod 2012 is on a 10 WT saltwater Extreme rod and the Mod 2078s are on 4 WT to 7 WT rods, I like more weight in my hand and plenty of backing .

have a good and safe day,

Captain Wayne Valley Fire Services,Valley Springs Calif.
Comment

Review Tools