The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Gear Reviews

Gear Reviews Get the reviews you need. Hear it from the pros. Post your own reviews...

Comment

LinkBack Review Tools Display Modes
Sage switch
Sage switch
Published by Bigfly
06-02-2009
Author review
PerformanceN/A
Build QualityN/A
AppearanceN/A
Value
10%10%10%
OverallN/A
Average 10%
Default Sage switch

The game has changed! Huge casts, giant mends, and long.. drifts.
High sticking, swinging streamers, or long distance indicater presentations. Cover water all day without straining. Fish the spots you normally can't reach. Teddy was right, walk softly and carry a big stick!
Featured Reviews
By MikeLove on 06-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Member reviews
Performance
10%10%10%
Build Quality
10%10%10%
Appearance
10%10%10%
Value
10%10%10%
OverallN/A
Average 10%
Default Re: Sage switch

I am looking to add a switch rod to my rod selection.. I want a very fast action rod and have been looking at the specson the sage 6wt 11ft z-axis and the thomas & thomas 7wt 11ft .. It is hard for me to get to a dealer that might have these in stock to cast... Can you give me any input??
By MoscaPescador on 06-26-2009, 10:06 AM

I use a Sage Z-Axis 6110-4. I fish it both as a short Spey rod and as a long nymph rod depending on the river conditions. Using my Rio Skagit Short line (325 grain) with the appropriate sink tips, I can cast size 6 Kaufmann's Stonefly Nymphs with ease. If I want to nymph single handed style, I'll change to the Sage Indicator Taper (260 grain). This rod and line setup casts heavy nymphs, splitshot (or putty), and puffy indicators easilly. Plus it's an 11 foot rod. Talk about great line control.

I won't consider the Z as uber fast, but it is fast. I have heard rumors of a prototype TCX 7110-4 being field tested. Now that would be uber fast.

I can't comment on the T&T. For whatever reason, most retailers here in NorCal don't carry it.

MP
By BigCliff on 06-26-2009, 10:30 AM

Mike, you're much more likely to find the switch rod TFO is making in your area. ECHO is also making one thats getting rave reviews. I know the 3 Rivers shop has carried some of their gear in the past.

Looking at the TFO switch rods, I wouldn't go heavier than the 6 wt for fishing your area. Hell, the Teeny type line I fish on my burly 9wt is right in the middle of the weight range for the "5wt" model- Temple Fork Outfitters Deer Creek Switch Rods

I'm not saying it would be as tiring as a 9wt single hander, just that the heavy line smacking the water is part of the reason we don't fish 10wts for trout.

You might also shoot TFO an email to inquire about the functional differences between their 11' 5wt "two-hander" and "switch" rods.
By Bigfly on 07-01-2009, 02:16 PM

Mike, the switch thing is slightly slower than 9ft single handed stuff. I love my Rio steel head/ salmon taper in a 9wt for my 6110 z-axis. It throws indies, and big dries.
Their skagit short 325gr and five ft cheater, works too. The 5110 may be cool for smaller waters.
Check the weights of rods, (# oz) for a closer look. Casting all day takes it's toll with a heavier rod.
By MikeLove on 07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Member reviews
Performance
10%10%10%
Build Quality
10%10%10%
Appearance
10%10%10%
Value
10%10%10%
OverallN/A
Average 10%

Well I contacted R.B. Meiser of Meiserflyrods.com and he is shipping me one of his system 6, 11' ft " custom rod to try..He says it is faster than the winston and I have read on speypages about his rods and some people want to be burried with his Meiser rods.. I will see in about 10 days. MikeLove
By Bigfly on 07-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Mike, let me know how the test drive works out. The line is almost more important than the rod to me, it takes a while to dial it in. Good luck!
By MikeLove on 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Member reviews
Performance
10%10%10%
Build Quality
10%10%10%
Appearance
10%10%10%
Value
10%10%10%
OverallN/A
Average 10%
Default Meiser switch rod

Well I bought the R.B. Meiser 11' 7" highlander system 6 switch rod..The rod is very smooth casting. I used the trial shooting head with a 29' lenths and a 15' front floating taper.. had a level running line for distance over head casting..I have got the interchangable tip line system coming that he configures which includes floating tip and several sinking tips as well as a tapered and skagis level running line.. the tapered running line is for roll and long mends. I am very impressed with his craftsmanship and beautiful rod.. It does seem a little heavy for single hand casting. however the IT system has a 23' shooting head rather than the 29' and I might have to shorten the front taper a little for close in single hand casting..How ever it is basicly a down size spey..

First morning out with it I did catch my largest rainbow at 21 1/2 inches..on a large Deceiver..it is now my lucky rod..Mike Love
By Fly2Fish on 08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Member reviews
Performance
10%10%10%
Build Quality
10%10%10%
Appearance
10%10%10%
Value
10%10%10%
OverallN/A
Average 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLove View Post
I am looking to add a switch rod to my rod selection.. I want a very fast action rod and have been looking at the specson the sage 6wt 11ft z-axis and the thomas & thomas 7wt 11ft .. It is hard for me to get to a dealer that might have these in stock to cast... Can you give me any input??
Orvis just added three 11' Switch rods to their Helios line, for 5, 6 and 7 weight lines. I would seriously consider these, as the lighter weight of the Helios rods would definitely be an asset during a long day's casting one-handed. I have a Sage Z-Axis 11' 7 weight switch rod, and even though it is not a heavy rod as longer rods go, its weight is tiring after a while when I am casting it one-handed.
Comment

Review Tools