The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default What hatches at nightfall?

This may be a stupid question but curiosity got the best of me. Today a couple of guys ask if I've been fly fishing recently. They related this story. They said they were at the lake up by the headwater in a boat. They said that there was a fly fisher in a float tube that said to them the hatch will happen at 8 (pm). They told me that you could have set your watch by it and the trout started to rise. They said that he was throwing flies and catching a lot of fish while they got skunked. It gets dark a short time after 8 pm here. My question is what hatches at nightfall?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM

thirdyearff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What hatches at nightfall?

I don't know about your part of the world but here in the midwest this time of year evening hatches could consist of hendricksons, sulfurs, drakes, iso's, hex and a few others.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you have out there, but a lot of stuff comes off in the evening as duns, and lot's of spinner falls occur around dark for mayflies and there are a lot of midges and caddis that come off late in the day.

If you know the area and whether it was a lake or faster stream section and can get a hatch chart for it, you can probably narrow it down. Midges, Callibaetis and Grey Drakes are some mayflies that should be hatching in lakes out your way now-- but I think Callibaetis is more of a morning hatch thing, at least hen I've hit it-- Not sure about your gray drakes, but that may be something to look into... PMDs's come off in both the morning and evening in a lot of places, but they're mostly a stream thing. Any area shops you could call?

Sounds like that guy in the float tube had it wired. Hope you can too.

mark
Old 06-17-2009, 06:24 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I had a similar experience last May on the South Holston in TN. The fishing was pretty good all day long, but then at about 7:30 - 8:00 the sulphurs would start popping and the whole river came alive. For 3 days in a row we had the best fishing you could hope for in the last hour of sunlight. The first 2 days we caught em on duns but on the 3rd, they wanted the emerger. Anyway, you could set your watch by that hatch and I felt sorry for all the guys that went home early and missed the best action of the day!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

We get a Green Drake hatch here that is to die for (or fish for). Usually at or after sunset. We drive down after work and rig up, then have a beer and wait to see if it will happen. Imagine ten guys rigged up with dries and noone fishing. This year it was sparse and protracted (funny spring) and some times no hatch at all. I was fishing with a client at high noon one day and the drakes started coming off. I was shaking as I cut off a freshly rigged two fly and bobber set up. The client thought I was nuts for a while, until he got the fly on the water. WEEHAW.......
Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jimmie,
It's nice to know what kind of bug that is hatching in those evening hours. But sometimes, if you can get the body shape and size right, you stand a good chance on getting a grab. In some cases you can cast out the "generics." If it is some sort of mayfly, throw out an Adams. If it is a caddis, throw out an Elk Hair Caddis. If you see midges coming off, throw out a Griffith's Gnat.

If you get a chance to study the entomology of the lake, you can start throwing more specific flies.

MP
Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
We get a Green Drake hatch here that is to die for (or fish for). Usually at or after sunset. We drive down after work and rig up, then have a beer and wait to see if it will happen. Imagine ten guys rigged up with dries and noone fishing. This year it was sparse and protracted (funny spring) and some times no hatch at all. I was fishing with a client at high noon one day and the drakes started coming off. I was shaking as I cut off a freshly rigged two fly and bobber set up. The client thought I was nuts for a while, until he got the fly on the water. WEEHAW.......
BigFly: Same goes for the Roaring Fork, they usually have a pretty good Green Drake hatch in July. I was down there last weekend but the runoff is still very high and the reports are that the hatch hasn't really started yet.

Larry