The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Graphite rod + lightning = !!! (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/10029-graphite-rod-lightning.html)

peregrines 06-17-2009 02:21 PM

Graphite rod + lightning = !!!

For those of you new to the sport, waving a long graphite rod around in thunderstorms and lightning can be VERY dangerous, especially on open water. Here's a news story and a pic of a guy that was fishing with his son when he was struck by lightning--- luckily they are both OK, but check out the pic of the rod...

Fishermen Survive Lightning Strike - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City

I was in the keys on a flats boat when the push pole literally started humming. I turned and looked and my buddy poling the boat had his hair on his head and arms standing up... No sign of rain or lightning, but there must have been a lot of electricity in the air. Pretty freaky. If there weren't fish around we would have probably stopped fishing...

mark

mcnerney 06-17-2009 02:26 PM

Re: Graphite rod + lightning = !!!

Mark: Thanks for posting, that is a good reminder to us all. The photo of the fly rod is something else!

Larry

Troutwhisperer 06-17-2009 02:54 PM

That's kind of weird to me because just yesterday i was fly-fishing in a thunderstorm. you could see lightening and everything. Its scary to think about what can happen.

For a half an hour after the storm though i got into the rainbows. then they just stopped. I got to brake in my new two weight though with five rainbows.

jpbfly 06-17-2009 03:45 PM

Mark if you had inserted the photo and asked us what that man was holding :confused:I'm not sure many of us would have said "it's a rod":icon_bigg impressive!

Bigfly 06-17-2009 05:54 PM

We have been getting scary thunder bumpers early this year. I always ask my clients, do you want to fish or live. Most answer correctly.

kruggy1 06-17-2009 06:33 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Ive never seen anything like that before.
It looks like a custom duster hes holding instead of a rod...LOL

Frank Whiton 06-18-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutwhisperer (Post 63289)
That's kind of weird to me because just yesterday i was fly-fishing in a thunderstorm. you could see lightening and everything. Its scary to think about what can happen.

For a half an hour after the storm though i got into the rainbows. then they just stopped. I got to brake in my new two weight though with five rainbows.

Hi Troutwhisperer,

I can't emphasize enough how dangerous it is to be out in a thunder storm fly fishing. No fish or numbers of fish are more important than your life or health. Here are some actions you should take next time you get caught in a storm.

1. Get out of the water ASAP. Standing in the water with a fly rod in hand is extremly dangerous.

2. Lay your rod down flat on the ground and step away.

3. Kneel down and make your self as small as possible and stand on the balls of your feet.

4. If a car or truck is available get into it. This is your safest place. Sit away from the door and don't touch any metal in the car.

5. Do not get under any tree or high structures.

6. Next time leave the water before the storm starts.

I live in Florida and we have the highest incidence of lighting in the US. People are struck every year. If it doesn't kill you there are severe burns or other serious injury.

Frank

GeorgeMcFly 06-18-2009 05:53 PM

wow that rod looks kinda like howard sterns hair!! dang. :icon_lol: glad them dudes survived. I saw a storm coming once and got the heck outta there! something about waving a 9ft rod around when its lighting out made me a lil uneasy feeling! lol

Troutwhisperer 06-18-2009 09:26 PM

Hey everybody,

If i had seen this before i went i would have got off that water ASAP. It's scary to think about what could have happened. I guess i just really was more intent on fly fishing until i heard the thunder saw the lightening and then came the rain.

I feel like an idiot now for continuing to fly fish and have good reason to feel like one, scary stuff man.

Guest1 06-18-2009 10:28 PM

The temperatures needed to completely delaminate the graphite had to be intense. I can't see a hint of guides. I assume they took off like little high speed projectiles. If that rod does not convince people to stay off the water in a lightning storm, nothing will. Dang!:rain: