The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default My first boo rod

Tonight I finaly won the auction for the single hand 8' split cane rod with spare tips (and a heaver section to make it a combo rod) and all for $20 for a rod that is near new looking, I have to next decide what type and line wt it will best cast there is nothing on the rod but the makers name..... I googled it and nothing (must be a local maker from long ago when they were popular over here). and then a reel that will look the part.

What sort of care do boo rods require ie cleaning ect...

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My first boo rod

Chris,

Nice move - and great price!

Others can advise you far better than I can on cane rods. But if the sections are straight and fit together well (come apart with a definite "pop"), if the varnish looks to be intact and if there are no signs of checking or cracks around the guide wraps, then perhaps a good cleaning is all that it needs.

At 8'0", I'd start by trying either a DT-5 or DT-6 line. It may well cast better with the 6 line.

I was casting an old Leonard Duracane rod about 2 months ago with some friends at our local Fly Shop. The rod was rated as a 5 wt., but IMO is was nothing special to cast with a DT-5 line on it. Someone uplined it with a DT-6 and we all started smiling, looking for distance and talking about the glory days of HLLeonard.

Have fun with it!

Pocono
Old 02-04-2011, 05:09 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Thanks Allan, I did plan on using DT line and I have some spare 6wt to try (as that is the wt of my current graphite rod).

What was suprising is the single I got went for far less than the double I was also after (doubles are not that popular in NZ there are few people who will use them. the rest use switch rods or upto 10/11wt singles).

I think I will have years of fun with it

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

$20that's a good deal Chrishope you'll enjoy fishing with your boo
Old 02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Congrats! Sounds like you scored big time with the cane rod and I hope you have many years of fine fishing with it.

Larry

Old 02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Chris,

If it was built long ago there is a good chance it is a 6wt or a 8wt. Those were the most often built rods. Especially if it has a metal reel seat instead of rings.

Frank
Old 02-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Chris,

If it was built long ago there is a good chance it is a 6wt or a 8wt. Those were the most often built rods. Especially if it has a metal reel seat instead of rings.

Frank
Frank, it dose have a metal seat. I had thought it would be atleast a 6wt and maybe bigger as smaller than a 6 in NZ is rare.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite