My first boo rod

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Tonight I finaly won the auction for the single hand 8' split cane rod with spare tips (and a heaver section to make it a combo rod) and all for $20 for a rod that is near new looking:p, I have to next decide what type and line wt it will best cast there is nothing on the rod but the makers name..... I googled it and nothing (must be a local maker from long ago when they were popular over here). and then a reel that will look the part;).

What sort of care do boo rods require ie cleaning ect...

Chris

Pocono

Reaction score
Chris,

Nice move - and great price!

Others can advise you far better than I can on cane rods. But if the sections are straight and fit together well (come apart with a definite "pop"), if the varnish looks to be intact and if there are no signs of checking or cracks around the guide wraps, then perhaps a good cleaning is all that it needs.

At 8'0", I'd start by trying either a DT-5 or DT-6 line. It may well cast better with the 6 line.

I was casting an old Leonard Duracane rod about 2 months ago with some friends at our local Fly Shop. The rod was rated as a 5 wt., but IMO is was nothing special to cast with a DT-5 line on it. Someone uplined it with a DT-6 and we all started smiling, looking for distance and talking about the glory days of HLLeonard. ;)

Have fun with it!

Pocono

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Thanks Allan, I did plan on using DT line and I have some spare 6wt to try (as that is the wt of my current graphite rod).

What was suprising is the single I got went for far less than the double I was also after (doubles are not that popular in NZ there are few people who will use them. the rest use switch rods or upto 10/11wt singles:eek:).

I think I will have years of fun with it:)

Chris

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Chris: Congrats! Sounds like you scored big time with the cane rod and I hope you have many years of fine fishing with it.

Larry

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Chris,

If it was built long ago there is a good chance it is a 6wt or a 8wt. Those were the most often built rods. Especially if it has a metal reel seat instead of rings.

Frank

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Chris,

If it was built long ago there is a good chance it is a 6wt or a 8wt. Those were the most often built rods. Especially if it has a metal reel seat instead of rings.

Frank
Frank, it dose have a metal seat. I had thought it would be atleast a 6wt and maybe bigger as smaller than a 6 in NZ is rare.

Chris