The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 07:15 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Box Photos

As someone who is still pretty new to fly fishing (coming up on a year now), I am still somewhat confused and undecided as to how I should organize my fly boxes. It did not use to be a problem as I didn't have many flies. However, my fly collection is rapidly growing and I am in need of a plan. Too many times I find myself on the water and I go to my pack and look for a fly only to find it is back in the car or back at home. I thought I would ask some of you more wise, seasoned and knowledgeable anglers how you do it, and if you could, to post some photos of your full fly boxes. I tend to be a more visual learner and seeing photos would help me a lot. The one thing I do know is that I need to break it down between trout boxes and warmwater boxes. Living in Texas, the vast majority of my fishing is warm water related. However, I do get to fish for trout as much as possible. I just have to travel a little farther to do it. I would love to hear how you do it and see some pictures.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:48 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Box Photos

Don't know if I'm wise or knowledgeable but here goes. Until very recently, I lugged around 4 or 5 of the big C&F waterproof boxes for all of my trout fishing:

1. Big mayflies
2. Small mayflies & midges
3. Caddis, stones & terrestrials
4. Nymphs and emergers
5. Streamers.

I've been able to pair down my selection to 2 boxes for most fishing, although I'll probably still take everything along to unfamiliar water.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi txbevo,

I use to have a box for each type of fly. Now I have settled on a box for each place I fish. I have a San Juan box with all of the flies that I might use and that is it. My San Juan box works quite nice on other tail water fisheries. So I guess it should be called my tailwater box. I have a Bass box and a saltwater box. This seems to work well for me. I use a chest pack the most and don't have room for a lot of fly boxes.

Frank
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In my trout vest I carry a streamer wallet, a 'big fly' box, and two dry/wet boxes. One of the dry/wet boxes has mostly tiny flies.

In my warmwater boat bag I carry a panfish box and a largemouth box

I have a shoulder bag for when I fish for river smallmouth and it carries a separate box just for those flies....

My saltwater vest has a single large box, but I 'feed' it as needed out of half a dozen Plano style boxes stored in a large tackle bag

I also have a trout boat bag and a saltwater kayak bag. These don't get used as much so they're 'feed' from the other gear
Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I have 4 boxes.

Large Box: Streamers
Medium Box 1: Dries/Terrestrials
Medium Box 2: More Dries/Terrestrials
Small Box: Wet flies/Midges

I also keep 4-5 terrestrials in my check pack that I use for panfish.

Post pics later.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 AM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road

Who makes these fly boxes? I like the V slits in the foam for the hooks.

Thanks!

Scott

Old 06-19-2009, 11:48 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Scott, those are C&F waterproof boxes. They are great boxes.

I am thinking about getting one of these. C and F Design Waterproof Boxes Large-Sized 12-Compartment / 8-Row Box They look like they would be great for holding nymphs in the foam and drys in the compartments. Could also use a compartment or two for indicators and/or split shot/putty. Anyone have or used one of these boxes?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:02 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I replaced all my fly boxes with CF boxes. Found a guy on ebay selling 10 CF boxes for $60, I bought them right up. They are truly my favorite.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
Scott, those are C&F waterproof boxes. They are great boxes.
Excellent! Thanks for letting me know what they are. I like the slits better than the ripple foam or solid foam.