The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Rainbow Trout

I just found out there is a place to fish Rainbow trout within a half an hour from me! I am looking to get some info on them before I go and give it a try. I have a 6wt Cabelas combo with 2X tippet, is that enough? Also what are some must have flies for Rainbows in Minnesota? Also what are some good tips or hints for fishing these fish? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Cabot
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rainbow Trout

Cabot -

If there is a fly shop near you and/or near your fishing location, call them and ask what types of flies will work best for you. You may want to try dry flies, nymphing, or dry with a dropper is always good too. I use that a good bit with the dry acting as a strike indicator as well. Carry a variety of flies and turn over some rocks when you get to the stream. You'll probably get a good idea of the bugs that are common for that stream and area.

I would try to fish with a 5x tippet if you can get by with it. It is smaller and is less alarming to the trout...especially in really clear water.

That is my advice and I'm sure others will chime in.

Scott
Old 06-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bekiu002,

I think you will find that a 2X tippet is too large unless you are fishing Steelhead. I would use 4X or 5X according to how large the fish are and how you are fishing. If you only have a 2X leader you can add tippet material to make it a 4X or 5X.

How to go from a 2X to a 4X tippet.

1. Cut off your tippet except for 6". This should be about 20"

2. Take a 24" piece of 4X and tie it to the end of the leader you cut off above. This will give you a 4X leader about the same length of the leader you started with. It depends on how much you use tying the knot.

How to go from a 2X to a 5X leader.

1. Cut off your tippet except for 6" as above in step one.

2. Take 12" of 4X tippet and tie it to the cut leader.

3. Take a 24" piece of 5X tippet and tie it to the 4X you tied on in step 2. You will now have a leader with a 5X tippet that is a bit longer than your original 2X leader you started with.

Frank
Old 06-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

You’ve gotten great advice. As far as flies go, the stuff you already have should make a good start. You mentioned in some other posts that you bought stuff like woolly buggers and muddlers, and an Orvis assortment of 20 flies. If those were the 20 for 9.95 deal they’re all great for trout, and the buggers and muddlers are too. What to use and how to fish will depend a lot on the water. Getting advice from a local shop is always a good idea. Don’t know where you are in relation to these two, but here are two good ones to check out:

In Fridley The Fly Angler is a full-service fly shop, offering expert help on a wide variety of fly-fishing topics. We offer classes in fly-casting, fly tying, and rod building, as well as guided fishing and helping you arrange travel on hosted trips.

Near Minneapolis Fishing Tackle, Musky Tackle, Muskie Gear - Thorne Bros Online Store

Hopefully they can give you some pointers on stuff that’s hatching, and places to go and other pointers in exchange for a few flies and a couple spools of tippet and dry fly floatant or whatever else you might need.

As far as techniques, to keep it simple, if you see fish actively feeding, try and match it up with something close in size to whatever they’re eating. A lot of times, nothing may be showing so…

If it’s a stream, I’d start out heading upstream with a 5X tippet casting dry flies— like a size 14 Elk Hair Caddis if the water is fast and choppy, or a 16 Parachute Adams if it’s slower, slick water. Hit the current seams where faster water meets slower water around rocks, near undercut banks and deadfalls, where water tumbles into a pool. Places where a trout could hang out without fighting the current, but have a conveyor belt bringing food nearby and with enough cover (water knee deep or more, or under a shady area) that it won’t have to worry about getting picked off from overhead by an osprey or something.

Try and get a good drift without the fly dragging in current—the shorter the casts the easier this will be. Hit each good looking spot a few times and keep moving.

On your way back downstream, you can keep fishing the dry, or swing a wet fly or nymph fish through those same spots. You can also tie on a muddler and drift it back downstream in front of spots and twitch it a bit, hang in the current , let it drift back and come tight so it rises up and twitch it, You can sort of steer it into holes with your rod.

If it’s a pond or lake and you see fish rising, try a dry. If nothing is going on on the surface, use a nymph with your 5X tippet, cast out let it sink by counting 10 missiissippi’s and veeeeery slowly give it a twitch, strip an inch, let it fall…. Twitch, repeat. Etc. Cast out each time counting out more mississippis to let it get deeper until you hopefully find fish. After you’ve fished the same area a bit, move a bit to the side and try again to cover a stretch of water . If this doesn’t work, try fishing something bigger like a bugger or muddler, same counting thing, but use faster strips.

Here’s a link to the MN DNR’s main page on fishing to scout out some trout water , and other info that might be good to know Fishing in Minnesota: Minnesota DNR

Good luck!
mark
Old 06-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Unfortunately, I would have to drive an hour plus to visit an actually fly shop. I will be making a run to Cabelas though to buy different types of tippet. Is there a certain time of day to fish for Rainbows. I should have mentioned I won't be in a stream, but in large old granite quarries. Thanks for all the good advice so far.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:46 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Stop in at Scheels and see if they have any fly gear. The Scheels out here has a good selection so I would think yours would have access to some. Where are those quarries at?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:40 AM

The fly fishing section in the St.Cloud Scheels is pretty tiny. The quarries are in the Quarry Park and Nature Preserve just outside of St. Cloud. The DNR stocks a couple of the quarries yearly with Rainbows.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

That's cool man. I wish I knew about that years ago. Good luck.