The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 12:17 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about
Default Found a new stream!

Well, new to me at least. One of our new forum members, bm3moose, guided me toward this jewel last week. Neither of us had ever fished it but he'd heard it was worth a look. I was pretty excited about it being only about 1/3 the distance from my house as the next closest trout water! I did all the research I could online, but aerial photography often leaves a misguided impression.

For the adventure, I decided to pack along an old 9' 5-wt all-rounder I essentially got for free in a trade several years ago. It's a Bass Pro Shop rod and reel combo, and plenty good enough when there's bushwhacking to be done. I took along a small collection of nymphs that included pheasant tails, BHP's, copper Johns, and a few pink and chartreuse weenies.

The summer photos of the stream illustrated a somewhat lower water level than I found this morning. We've had some decent rain and snowfall over the last few weeks and that was reflected in the water column. The main channel appeared to be running in the 4-6' range, or at least the deeper sections I gauged with my rod. Water clarity was very nice for this area and while I won't estimate a CFM flow rate, it was far more vigorous than we're used to seeing around here.

I only had two takes this morning (on for only a moment), but both air and water temps were hovering in the low-30's. I expected action to be slow and this was much more of an exploration visit than an actual fishing trip. I can't wait to hit this when the temps rise a bit and the hatches become frequent! Considering the rain, cold temps, my being alone, and the total isolation of this area, I only explored the first 400-500 yards downstream from where I parked. Under better conditions, I'll explore the several miles of water available before this empties into the Ohio River.

Click the image to open in full size.

The channel in the above pic gauged about 5' and the drop was abrupt, exactly as the transition looks in this pic.

One of my takes occurred in an eddy beneath the root wad shown above. Not a big fish, but I saw a flash of silver and felt the tug. Just barely got the rod loaded when the line went slack.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

This is probably the best example of water clarity I can offer. Not bad for a winter flow, I'm thinking. As I've never seen this stream during the warmer seasons, I'm only guessing when I predict it should be quite clear.

I looked beneath a lot of rocks for aquatic life and found only a few small scuds and some almost microscopic snails. My guess is that the bulk of activity is going on in a bit deeper water than I could get to today. I did see plenty of raccoon sign along the shore and shallows, so I'm thinking crayfish may be a prevalent food source.

Above is another of the 4' deep channels. I'm not accustomed to seeing such drops in Kentucky's waterways, which typically are either deep, steep-banked ditches or wide, shallow gravel "pans". This reminds me of some of the smaller Erie tribs!

the764

Last edited by ghostdncr; 02-05-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:29 PM

bm3moose is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Found a new stream!

I can't wait to see it. I'm glad you got to scout it out.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great report and nice looking gem of a stream! I really like all the holding structure it has, it should fish well once the temps come up.

Larry

Old 02-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi John,

You know me, that looks like great streamer water Do you know if the stream gets trout stocked into it? Another question I would be having is, where is the head water at? I have fished lots of places just because I thought there should be something there. Sometimes I was right and other times I was not. At least you have some open water to go cast in and the stream sure looks good from here. I used to catch some really big chubs when I was fishing streams right above where they dumped into the West Branch of The Susquehanna River in PA. Even though I was hoping for a trout getting a big chub was pretty cool.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

man, i gotta go fishin.

ARFE
Old 02-07-2011, 05:28 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

very nice. what type of fish are in those waters?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Noah, just let me know if you'd like to team up for an expedition. This is some of the best looking water I've seen in this area. Meant to call KYDFW for their input today, but finally stepped away from the lathe at around 1730. Maybe tomorrow.

Ard, I've already started tying some tiny Speys for this water. KYDFW stocks rainbows and browns in the 8-10 inch range, but the water temps get up to 75 degrees over the summer months, so no holdovers. Headwaters are strictly off-limits. I'll report back when the weather improves and we begin finding patterns that work for this particular stream.

o mykiss, it's reported to hold rainbows and browns (stocked), smallmouth and sauger. I can't imagine it not holding bream and rock bass, too. Seems like every little ditch in Kentucky holds those!

the764
Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

That looks like some awesome water. Everything up my way is still solid.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
o mykiss, it's reported to hold rainbows and browns (stocked), smallmouth and sauger. I can't imagine it not holding bream and rock bass, too. Seems like every little ditch in Kentucky holds those!
OH NICE! i have yet to catch a smallie on my fly gear... that would be AWESOME! i've caught plenty of largemouth though, but it's just not the same.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 PM

xekhang is on a distinguished road

You're lucky to have such a beautiful stream nearby your house! Good luck with fishing