The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road
Default Experienced trout guys: is orange that bad?

I'm wondering if anyone can 100% say that wearing a color like orange, white, red...anything non-conventional, non-camo/earthtone/muted color actually decreases your fishing success.

My thoughts are, trout are going to see your waders, your boots, feel you moving through the water even when you try to tread slowly...I can't see wearing orange being that big of a deal, especially when you're coming up from behind on trout who are looking upstream.

Thoughts? Testimonies?

Anything would be much appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2011, 03:19 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Experienced trout guys: is orange that bad?

Don't know. I've never really worn loud colors. Fishing or otherwise. I like to blend into the crowd and outdoors. (Like that's really going to happen).
I've never seen red, orange or other bright colors on waders, boots, vests, etc.
Take a couple of fishing trips and wear an orange hunting vest or shirt and see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:09 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Solid colors reflect more light. And the flash can indicate Predator to a fish. Raccoons, skunks, fox...hawk, eagle...the list is long on animals that like to eat trout so if a flash occurs then the fish may think predator and retreat.

Solids in the outdoors are more easy for animals to make out then broken up patterns and bright colors reflect light better or more efficiently than dark colors. So can you catch fish with a red hat? Absolutely. Can you catch more fish without your lucky red hat? Probably not. But if your bright and reflective you or your movements will be more visible to the fish.

I rarely camo up to fish. But have been known to do it a few times. But usually my camo is made of light blues.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

i weight over 230lbs... and clumpy.. when I wade, fish are going to see me regardless what colour clothing I wear
Old 02-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I wear camo colors and hunt fish. I have been way too close to way too many fish to believe that being stealthy didn't make that happen.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Benford

I would have to say it depends on your style of fishing. If stalking as Ard does yes bright colors would be a bad choice. Same holds true on small streams and creeks with very clear waters. If you are floating or wading big water it is not that important. Either way why give advantage to the prey?

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

My buddy's and I wear orange vests and hats here in the Fall because of several specific deer and elk seasons. I can't say I've seen a real difference in catching fish with or without the Orange clothing. Some days we catch lots of fish and other days not so many, but the difference seems to be due to the weather, the hatch, time of day, etc. In other words the normal reasons for good and not so good days. This is FAR from scientific, but this is how I see it on our Fall cutthroat streams.

Bob
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Ben,

You closed asking for testimonials, I don't post many fish because I don't take many pictures of live ones but here are a couple I don't think a guy wearing day glow colors would have.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Both in clear conditions on the same streamer pattern and I had been watching them before I had made a cast. The char that I used the net for was caught years ago and was a big one. The spring sea run was pretty good size and I watched him from the spruce and brush before easing into the water above him. To each his own but I simply cannot justify wearing bright clothing. That red holder for my bear spray is as bright as I want.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to fish a Bass Lake that was surrounded by town. As I walked the shoreline I could see Bass take off for deep water well ahaead of me. I sew, (no smart alec comments please) and made a camo fly vest, pants and everything I had with me was camo. If I walked slowly and wore all camo I could get way closer to fish. Most of the fishing I do it does not matter in the slightest. The water is to stained and deep for them to see me. In situations like the little lake in town it mattered alot. If you can see them, they can see you.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I also agree with Ard and Diver Dan, and would say that clothes make much more a difference than the color of fly line. Broken patterns generally work best, and light reflective solids work the worst.

Matt finish black reels and de-glossed rods are what I prefer after spending a lot of time wading clear water flats.

Another big thing is tramping along the edge of a brook or river, particularly if the ground is wet clay or loam or mud as opposed to sand and gravel. Beaver ponds come to mind where I can literally feel someone walking up to me through the ground tremors. Beaver bog trout always are hard to get close to, and not even possible for someone who clomps along.

Cheers,
Jim