The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all
Default Re: Sharing information on the water: what is the proper ettiquette?

Clipped:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hey Auntie Em !
I was pleasantly surprised to discover a great Orvis shop in Media, PA. I
was even more surprised when I saw that the owner's daughter not only worked there, but is an accomplished fly angler. There's another woman
who works at the shop, Mary, and she is also an accomplished fly angler
and an entomologist as well! Mary is a fantastic source of knowledge
for hatches and tying. Ridley Creek is located 10 minutes from this shop,
Well, at least you'll get some straight information, and good advise!!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 PM

Hockeyref is on a distinguished road

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this so I got my nomex undies on....

I had this big 'ol response from a fly rod newbie perspective but Internet Exploder crashed and ate it..... suffice to say that most of your responses seem to give credence to the opinion of the "non-illiminate" that many flyfisher(men) are really "fly rod snobs" that would just as soon see someone give up fly fishing, go home in frustration to their spinning rods and leave "your water" and "your fish" alone...
As a newbie to fly fishing, it will definitely make me take any advice received with a very large grain of salt until I confirm it through a dozen independent sources - or at least someone I trust to give it to me straight (note to self, find a mentor). I mean really... If you won't help me face to face If I'm being civil, why would you help me here? If someone is being an ass to you in public you have avery right not to associate with them (not necessarrilly to be rude or downright decieptful). In fact, you are free to not associate with a person without offering any explanation.... Yes there is probably some unwritten ettiquite that folks need educated on and every one of us has the responsibility to be an embassador for the sport - rather than a selfish snob. When I took up GOLF 30 years ago the first thing I was taught was proper on couse ettiquite... fishing is no different.

I gave up trout fishing of any kind over 25 years ago and have taken it up again in the past two years as my daughters (age 7 and 10) have taken a great interest in fishing. Why did I give it up in favor of bass fishing and later gave up all fishing from 1989 until 2006 - in a word, PEOPLE. Rude people that were too competative...too possesive of certain patches of water..... I've seen grown men in fist fights over crossed lines and spots of dirt along the stream (on public property).

I challenge everyone to be the better person, be an embassador for the sport, educate instead of alienate people. Folks aren't asking you what you used or how you caught those fish for the heck of it.... you did something better than they did and they want to educate themselves... but, It is a two way street and asking for enlightenment is far different from demanding it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Like I said earlier ... life's too short to be ugly. Lots of fish out there, lots of water. Go out, have fun, share that fun and be safe.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
Like I said earlier ... life's too short to be ugly. Lots of fish out there, lots of water. Go out, have fun, share that fun and be safe.
EXACTLY.....

SO, What IS the proper ettiquite - for both sides? There has to be some genereally accepted unwritten rules... what are they?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Use COMMON SENSE
Apply The Golden Rule
If confronted ... walk away.
Help ... if the help is warranted and requested.
Have fun.
Will it REALLY matter tomorrow?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Auntie EM... you can share my patch of water or campfire anytime... It's refreshing to see someone actually say to use "Common Sense" these days... Our society could use a whole lot more of that!
Old 06-23-2009, 01:26 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hockeyref,
It's not really a matter of being a snob. I've only kept my mouth semi-shut
on C&R ff'ing water. After the trout are hooked by the same pattern a dozen
times, they get wise, and that often calls for a pattern that may be slightly
or completely different. Going smaller often helps, as does changing color,
tippet size, depth, etc. When 5 knowledgeable anglers are standing in a
small stretch, it's not my responsibility to let them in on a secret that I
discovered, and if I did, it's unlikely that they are going to share that with
everyone else on the stream.

New anglers are another story. I often run into kids and adults who say, "Flyfishing looks hard." I put a rod in their hands and help them to get
a decent 25 foot cast (assuming I'm not on a roll). While on stocked streams
and lakes, I'll tell anyone everything I know. These are catch and keep
waters, and the fish don't get educated.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Hi Hockeyref,
It's not really a matter of being a snob. I've only kept my mouth semi-shut
on C&R ff'ing water. After the trout are hooked by the same pattern a dozen
times, they get wise, and that often calls for a pattern that may be slightly
or completely different. Going smaller often helps, as does changing color,
tippet size, depth, etc. When 5 knowledgeable anglers are standing in a
small stretch, it's not my responsibility to let them in on a secret that I
discovered, and if I did, it's unlikely that they are going to share that with
everyone else on the stream.

New anglers are another story. I often run into kids and adults who say, "Flyfishing looks hard." I put a rod in their hands and help them to get
a decent 25 foot cast (assuming I'm not on a roll). While on stocked streams
and lakes, I'll tell anyone everything I know. These are catch and keep
waters, and the fish don't get educated.

Frank,
That does explain ALOT... Never considered C&R and the fish learning what not to hit on.... Same goes for experienced anglers crowded in a small area... I would not expect to see too many true newbies working the same small C&R area. I would suspect that you might offer "advice" to an obvious newbie in this situation (as long as they are not truly disturbing you)....

As for experienced anglers - seems to me that there would be less communication on the water than after you're done for the day. Also, the conversation probably would center more on what changes you might consider rather than what worked today... just because it may not work tomorrow or next week. Again... if I am understanding it.. the challenge here is to figure out what they will hit on "next" because what works this cast may not work on the next.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

In my experience, a knowledgable and experienced angler is not likely to ask a lot of questions anyway. Such a person is probably already got it figured out, and if he/she doesn't, they enjoy the challenge of solving the puzzle.

I usually make the assumption that anyone asking me questions is probably a novice and will get any help I can offer.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
I usually make the assumption that anyone asking me questions is probably a novice and will get any help I can offer.
Guess this gets back to "How it's asked".... I would suspect that this may go up to a level of intermediate ability given the volume of information that comes to play.

I guarantee that I'm the one asking the dumb questions at this point... I'm so new that a fly is just the thing on the end of the line that you flip in front of the fish. I know there are different kinds and they are supposed to look like bugs.... Some line floats, some sinks, you match the rod to the line and tie thinner line to the end so the fish don't see it... and that the line choice\setup is probably one of the most important decisions that affect whether you'll catch anything but it needs to be coupled with the right fluff on the end and flipped out there in the right manner...