The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2005, 04:05 PM

WDRookie will become famous soon enoughWDRookie will become famous soon enough

How high is too high for the rod tip when fighting a good fish? This is an interesting conversation. I guess my first inclination would be like most bait casters, tip up and pull like heck. What is the correct way to fight a bigger fish?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

it's not really the height of the tip during most of the fight that is dangerous, just at the end when you're landing it. Just make sure you never bend your rod into a shape even slightly like a candy cane.

Get to where you can feel the thick part of the butt of the rod coming into the fight, and you'll whip and release fish much quicker. sounds weird, but you'll see what i mean.

As far as fighting the fish, you'll wear it out quicker with side pressure. When it goes to your left, pull it towards the right, and vice versa. This also helps to disorient the fish. When/if you need to pull them out of heavy cover, you'll also be able to do this more powerfully with side pressure.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:36 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

WD,

I teach my clients is keep the rod tip down -- down to the point it almost contacts the water. Point the rod tip at the fish. If the fish turns to the right, fight him with the rod's butt by turning to the left; if he goes to the left, switch and pressure him with the rod's butt to the right.

The closer to the water the rod, the better off you are ... the higher it is, the more slack is apt to form in the line. Slack, during a fight, artifically increases the drag on the line, and, as it does, increases the possibility of a breakoff.

Doug

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com