The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 12:05 PM

jackd001 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing small creeks

I'm thinking of buying a TFO finesse 3 weight and don't know which size would be better to buy. A 8'9'' or a 7'9''? The 8'9'' just seems a little long but a 7'9'' might sacrifice range. What do you guys fish on small spring fed creeks?

ps any ideas on a good relatively cheap reel for this rod? The Allen trout series reel seems good, I've only heard amazing things about Allen & Co.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing small creeks

Here in the western Sierras give me the length. In the meadows we are dabbing over tall grasses, bushes; in the creeks clearing the far side of a boulder; in the rivers not always getting to false cast, but rather some sort of roll cast or water load.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

My 3 wt. for Wisconsin small spring creeks is an 8' 8" and I love the length of it. I do have an 8' 4 wt. if I want a shorter rod. I prefer the long 3 wt. - as Jimmie stated, I like the length to dap over the high grasses as well. It's also nice having that extra length for high sticking.

You also asked about a cheap reel... for a 3 wt. see if you can get your hands on a made in England Orvis BBS II. Great little reel for a 3 wt. The new ones made overseas don't seem as durable. YMMV.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:43 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

My 3wt rod(s) are 7'0" and do a fine job on the small creeks, ponds, and small lakes I fish. If it's too windy for the 3wt, or I need something for larger flies I use a 7'11" 6 wt.
I seldom fish where a long cast is necessary, and often a very opposite is required. I often find myself casting with only 15-20' of fly line out past the rod tip.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fish a 6'6" fiberglass 4wt on the local brook trout brooks.
In the back yard it can easily cast 60', but on stream I like it mostly because the rod will load with only a foot of line out of the tip top for close in casting
Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I side with Rip Tide on this issue every time it comes up. I think many of us have a wide variance in what we think of as "Small Streams". I have 2 small water rods. One of the rods is 6' 6" and the other is 6' 3", not that I think three inches makes any difference when trying to work a fly rod and line in tight confines. If you add two or more feet to these rods now you're making a game changer. Many people have been willing to debate their ability to handle even 9' rods on small streams with myself and others over the years. For the sake of consideration I offer this; I know many 'tight streams' that harbor some very large fish. I will be glad to go with a fellow using a 8.5 or 9' rod to carry beer, food, and camera, while that person tries to swing that rod around.

Think about it, most people will wade confidently into rivers like the Madison, Penobscot, Salmon, and countless others carrying a 9' rod. Why would you wish to select a rod that was approaching 8.5 or 9 feet for fishing in a stream of water that may be less than 10 to 12 feet wide in some channels? When I say "small stream" I am thinking maximum width 15 - 20 feet with overhanging trees and plenty of brush and grasses along the sides.

Just my thoughts on the word small

Ard

Here's one close to the house;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

One of the trout, they come bigger, some come from the sea, they get real big;

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-06-2011, 05:57 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd001 View Post
I'm thinking of buying a TFO finesse 3 weight and don't know which size would be better to buy. A 8'9'' or a 7'9''? The 8'9'' just seems a little long but a 7'9'' might sacrifice range. What do you guys fish on small spring fed creeks?

ps any ideas on a good relatively cheap reel for this rod? The Allen trout series reel seems good, I've only heard amazing things about Allen & Co.
I have more or less the exact rod you are looking at. The TFO Finesse 7'9" 3wt. It is paired with a ross flyrise reel. I really enjoy the rod. I have caught hundreds of rainbows, grayling and dolly varden on it. Plus some pink salmon and a 40in pike. It has done everything I have asked of it and more. Just invest the $20 in the rod tube because TFO doesnt include one.

If you want to cast past 50ft, look elsewhere but it handles great for me close in.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default size matters

Add me to the list of guys fishing 6'6" on small streams. full flex. 2 wt mostly, sometimes the 3...for no apparent reason. Orvis CFO I reel.
Gary
Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Small streams, 8-20 feet, I fish a TFO pro series 7.5 foot 3 wt. or a TFO BVK 8.5 foot 4 wt. It just depends on overhead obstacles, wind, my mood, etc.

The 8.5 footer is nice when you are high sticking, a bit more reach.

8 feet wide and under, intense rhodo canapy, etc, I fish a 5'2" 4 wt.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I fish small creeks in Iowa and use a 7'6" 4wt. I have rarely found a need for a longer rod and often find myself casting shorter distances and around things. A shorter rod makes this easier.