The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 AM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Rod buying advice please

I decided to get into fly fishing , a friend of mine has a Sage Flight 9' 5wt with a sage 2050 reel on it.. last week is the first time I have ever even tried casting a fly rod and it was on this particular rod... He is suggesting to me I get a Sage Launch 9' 5wt... I decided to run the same reel a sage 2050...for $60 more is there that much of a difference between the Flight and the Launch ?

I appreciate your help
Jer
Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newbie Rod buying advice please

The Flight is going to be a faster rod action than the Launch ( med-fast). I have a 6 wt Launch that I really enjoy, but I fish Bamboo alot so I don't really care for really fast rods. The Flight won't be as fast an action as Sages Z and T series rods, but if you are casting long distances and wind is usually an issue then the Flight should be a good choice. I tried the old Fli and it was fine....I haven'ttried the newer Flight. I would suggest going to a good fly shop and test driving both - your casting style will dictate which works best for you
Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jer,

Welcome to the forum. You are lucky to have a friend with a fly rod. How did the Flight feel to you? In the long run you will use the Flight rod longer than you might with a Launch. The Launch is a good entry level rod and you might like it. You could consider getting a cheaper reel so you can buy a Flight instead of the Launch.

I suggest you find a shop or person with a Launch and see how it compares to the Flight. The Flight is a new design for Sage that replaced the Fli rod. The Flight is a sweet rod for the money and uses Sage's latest technology.

Your friend has given you good advise. But if you are really serious about fly fishing I think the Flight is a better choice. Only you will know if it is worth the money.

Frank
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jer, welcome to the forum. It's great you have a buddy that can help you get started.

Sage makes fine rods, and there are many other good choices out there as well depending on your budget and casting stroke. Ideally you'd want to test a few different models at a good fly shop to see which one suits you best.

I agree with Frank, in that the Launch will be initially a tad more forgiving than the Flight, but longer term you may find the Flight better suited in terms of growing into the rod. I also agree that you should put your money into the rod and a good quality line, and consider a less expensive reel.

As an example,
a 9', 4 piece 5 weight Launch goes for about 245 and a Sage 2050 goes for about 200

compared to a
4 piece 5 weight Sage Flight for about 330 and a Lamson Konic for about 130
(or a Sage 1650 for 100, or a Sage 1850 for 140)

And as Frank mentioned, the Sage Fli has been recently discontinued, and can be found at a considerable discount from the Flight which replaces it, (probably around 270 or so, down from it's original retail of 315 or so), so if you pay a Flight price make sure you are getting a Flight and not an Fli.

Also, 4 piece rods are a bit more expensive than 2 piece rods (in Sages about 50, other brands a bit less), they are much more convenient for air line travel (they can be checked as overhead) and can be stowed out of sight a bit easier (to minimize break-ins if you have a truck that shady characters can peek into). There is no perceptible difference in feel or action compared to a 2 piece--- but depending on what you will be doing, there is an opportunity to save a bit with a 2 piece rod if most of your fishing is going to be local and travel isn't an issue.

You're off on a great journey--- feel free to ask questions, take a look at some of the FAQs and browse some of the threads here to get your head around some of the lingo, gear etc. But you're off to a great start with a mentor already. It sounds like he'll really help you get going.

Good luck!

mark
Old 06-23-2009, 12:27 PM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 2 piece Sage Flight 9' 5wt. I love the rod, and feel it would be a fantastic choice. I agree with the other posters that you could skimp a little on the reel to make the rod more affordable. I happened to pick up a Reddington reel on sale, which only added about a bill onto the total.
As I am returning to fly fishing after about a 20 year layoff. The new equipment is amazing. Of course the new prices are amazing too (choke). I hope you have a wonderful time, and tight lines.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.....I had a Sage FLi, and thought it was stiff as a plank. I've seen the
Flight rods, but have not cast them. Sage is nice, but my preference would
be more toward the ZXL models. Is there a reason why your friend suggested
the Launch? Is he accomplished enough as a fly angler to discern which rod
would work better for you? If he is, his in person evaluation may carry some
real weight.

If you'd like to look at other brands, that is allowed . The St. Croix Legend
Ultra is about the same price as a Sage Flight, and will give you the best of
both worlds. Same with the St. Croix Avid. I've owned both of these rods in
a 9' 5wt configuration, and they are dandy.

I'd buy an Okuma SLV reel for $60. I've owned several, and sold a few (went
crazy and bought too many ). They are very durable, have a drag that is
silky smooth, and are a large arbor design. Don't let the price fool you, as
these Taiwan made reels are very nice. I use higher priced reels most of the
time now, but that's only because I ran out of things to buy .
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks for all the Great Advice and insight... I live in Oregon and probably wont be doing too much traveling so I think a 2 piece should be fine for what I plan on doing. And there is a little fly shop about an hour away from me that sells the Launch 9' 5wt 2piece for 220 and the Flight 9' 5wt 2piece for 280 and then he said he would give me $50 towards any line.. Seems like as good of a deal as anywhere I have looked.
I have given myself around a $500 spending limit and the flight and 2050 reel is in the budget... As for casting I have literally only handled and casted 1 fly rod ever and only once... Wes ( my friend ) let me come over and he gave me casting lessons for about 4 1/2 hours... my shoulder was sore for a day.. So this is the only experience I have and I found some success getting the hang of the cast.. well up to about 30 feet anyways I felt really comfortable then my loops started becoming rather large and it got pretty ugly..I am not too sure at this stage of the game if I could even notice the difference between the 2 rods , I have casted the flight and after an hour or so it started feeling comfortable , who knows what I looked like , but it felt right...
So taking advice from you guys I think I am leaning towards the flight , it seems as though its a rod I can enjoy for a longer time and not want to upgrade right away..

Thanks againg everyone
Jer
Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to drive up to the fly shop, have one of the employees watch
you cast. He/she will quickly spot any wrong movements, and correct them.
Today's fly rods cast themselves, and less is more . The Z-Axis is a rod
that likes to be cast "off the tip": don't swing it like a golf club . I didn't
really like the Z-Axis until I realized this, and many others have had the same
experience. If the Flight casts like the Z-Axis, you definitely want to visualize
a compact casting stroke; one that allows the tip to load and unload to
propel the line. Sounds complicated, but it's quite simple.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

First off, buy a 4 pc rod. I will eat my shoe if you're not glad you did within 5 years.

I also agree that there's a decent chance you'll enjoy fishing a Flight longer than a Launch, but here's a solution/compromise: Buy a 8'6" 5wt Launch to start out with. The shorter rod will work better for your wife/gf/child someday after you have decided to get the rod that suits your then fully developed casting style.

Lastly, if your shoulder hurts, you're doing it wrong. Forget about fly casting for a minute and imagine a broomstick bolted to a hinge that's bolted to the floor. Now imagine grabbing the thing about armpit high and repeating a motion where you alternately extend your arm and then bring it to your armpit, all while keeping your elbow in line with the motion of your hand.

Using a casting motion like this rather than what the fans do at a Braves/FSU game will be much easier on your shoulder.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Thats not a bad idea Frank... but as Z axis rods go they are not really in my budget..when I was first well I am still first learning to cast.. my biggest problem was not pausing long enough in my back swing or whatever its called..I found if I turned my head and watched the line it helped with my timing...this week before we leave to Paulina lake I will run down to the fly shop and ask thier take on a launch vs flight for me in particular...

the day I was out casting Wes had two rods there both Sage the one I used was the 9' 5wt flight and his other was a higher model 9' 7wt.... then another friend of ours just getting into flyfishing for the first time about a month ago had a cheaper 9' 5wt lamiglass.. he has only been casting and trying things out for about a month and he could already tell a huge difference between his lamiglass and the flight... I didnt try any of the other rods that day