The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 02:52 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about
Default Rim Chung's Rs2 fly, Is this a magic bullet?

Has anybody in this forum tried this fly? Some people claim that the inventor of this fly uses only this fly and has been very productive. About this claim, I am somewhat ambivalent in that even if you have a great fly, your productivity depends on your presentation. Nevertheless, I believe that a fly can make a huge difference when you are in a situation where you are out of resources.
So please let me know. I already bought all the materials for it and try it anyway. But I would like to hear from others who used the pattern.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rim Chung's Rs2 fly, Is this a magic bullet?

I don't know if it's a "Magic Bullet", but it is a very good fly under the right circumstances, extremely easy to tie too. Be sure to tie it in a variety of colors, light and dark.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Great fly and as mentioned above
Quote:
Be sure to tie it in a variety of colors, light and dark.
you will need to tie a variety of colors and types. I prefer the sparkle wing RS2 but also favor the Mercury RS2 as well.

This fly does really well on midges as well when tied down around 20-26. This fly is magic in Colorado during the blue wing olive hatches in the spring and fall. No fly box should do without!

Black, Grey, and Olive are my personal favorites. I carry a few 14s and 16s but most are between 18 and 22. I use the Grey as a universal attractor, mimics almost any emerger, the black is primarily for midges in my box tied in mostly smaller sizes and then the olive for the BWOs.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Never tried it but it looks plenty buggy; should be a good producer.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for what Coy said! The RS2 and Sparkle wing RS2 have been around for a long time and are very effective patterns!
Here is a YouTube video showing how to tie:
If you have trouble with spit tails, here is the Lazy Boy RS2 (scroll down about 1/4):
Poudre Canyon Chronicles: RS2

Larry

Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Question Re: Rim Chung's Rs2 fly, Is this a magic bullet?

I tied about 20 or so of Rim's Simulation #2 in the 20-24 size and tried them on several rivers in Colorado in the mid '90s. They didn't seem to be productive for me whatsoever. This was meant for pretty selective trout but for some reason they didn't like my RS2s. I'd be curious to know how those in Colorado fish them-as a dry, wet, nymph or an emerger. I was using #7 & 8 tippet and often the RS2s was tied to an indicator fly-unfortunately it never produced.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This reminds me of a fly first made in 1937 by Don Gapen. Not that they look alike but many folks have claimed it to be the only fly you need.

Anybody know what Mr. gapen tied? No fair if you gotta Goggle it

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I tied about 20 or so of Rim's Simulation #2 in the 20-24 size and tried them on several rivers in Colorado in the mid '90s. They didn't seem to be productive for me whatsoever. This was meant for pretty selective trout but for some reason they didn't like my RS2s. I'd be curious to know how those in Colorado fish them-as a dry, wet, nymph or an emerger. I was using #7 & 8 tippet and often the RS2s was tied to an indicator fly-unfortunately it never produced.
I fish the RS2 as an emerger most of the time. Sometimes as the point fly (if I know there is an emergence coming off and the size is right) or as the dropper (tied to the hook eye) when I am just looking to use the RS2 as an attractor/emerger.

This fly seems to work sub surface in almost any condition and even as a dropper behind a dry when you are getting alot of rise forms. The dry dropper seems to work best when fish are working the surface on a large mayfly and you have the RS2 trailing as the emerger stuck in the surface film.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This reminds me of a fly first made in 1937 by Don Gapen. Not that they look alike but many folks have claimed it to be the only fly you need.

Anybody know what Mr. gapen tied? No fair if you gotta Goggle it
Ard, I believe that would be the Muddler Minnow...

Dan
Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Correctamondo Dan !

When I first started fishing streamers some people said that the Muddler was all you needed. I would have to agree in theory but it's nice to have choices huh? I've never even seen an Rs2 fly but would probably stick to my Blue Quill in a pinch.

Stubborn

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;