The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 PM

Angling Sidekick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to keep your rod outa the water

I must say it is interesting watching coolhandhodge tying a fly in the river. I myself never noticed the loop in my vest but have been just using the velcro strap under the bottom stripper guide and letting the reel flop around in the water. I find it truly amazing how many twists and loops I can get around the tiptop in the short time it takes to tie on a new fly.....
Old 06-28-2009, 07:20 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I hold mine like I would a gun draped over my arm but armpit would work good too! It might take a little practice but you can do it all standing in the middle of a river! If a boulder is close by I might use that too for the reel but not required!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what I'm doing and whether my cheaters ( reading glasses ) are handy. The crook of my arm, arm pit, or between my legs. In the water as a last resort. I know it really doesn't hurt them but I still don't like doing it.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:35 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

All of the vests I've owned have had a cloth loop or a "D" ring on the upper chest. I've always added a small spring clip to the ring or loop- like the kind you use to add keys to a ring. When I had a major task of untangling or retying to do, I clip the rod to the vest by the hook holder. I wouldn't have to remember to keep my arm clamped on the rod. The clip is still on my vest but I'm mostly an armpit tucker now, too.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:22 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

your vest may have a rod holder..i know mine does and what it is is a little loop or material on the bottom right side hanging down and a velcro strap on the top left of the vest but i really only use this when im trying to unhook the near by tree or getting my pic taken with my fish
Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Another vote for armpit tucker. Although if it gets dunked, I just wipe it off and its good as new.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angling Sidekick View Post
I must say it is interesting watching coolhandhodge tying a fly in the river. I myself never noticed the loop in my vest but have been just using the velcro strap under the bottom stripper guide and letting the reel flop around in the water. I find it truly amazing how many twists and loops I can get around the tiptop in the short time it takes to tie on a new fly.....

I too am an arm pit tucker. try saying that 3x real fast. lol

Hey Angling sidekick, if you turn so your facing downstream you won't get the line all twisted up around your rod tip.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."