The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default How to keep your rod outa the water

Kind of a dumb one but bear with me. How do you all keep your rods and reels outa the water? I am constantly needing to set my rod down to tie on some tippet or another fly or whatever the case. Is there like a rod holder on my vest or somthing i am missing?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How to keep your rod outa the water

well, a rod holder could get in your way. I myself use 3 different methods. #1, the mouth. Grab your rod with your mouth dont bite too hard. This gives both hands free to do anything. Ya this may look bad, but the rod is now perpendicular to you and the fish. This leaves a nice line leading away after you get the fish. This helps since often times you can pop the fly out then dont have to worry about it getting in the way again. #2, pocket. Simply slip the reel in a pocket for a short time. #3 goes along with #2. Simply put most of the time you got waders on, yes? there is plenty of room in them. Simply slip it in there. That is how I do it when im actually from shore. Most of my fishing is done in a boat and i often can just put the rod down with no probs.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Why worry about trivial things. Rod, reel and line are pretty much dunk proof.
You ever watch a baseball player coming up to bat? He tucks the bat under his arm while he adjusts his gloves. Do the same thing with your fly rod.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You ever watch a baseball player coming up to bat? He tucks the bat under his arm while he adjusts his gloves. Do the same thing with your fly rod.
Ferreal. Just stick it under yer armpit and get to work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 AM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road

Yup, another armpit tucker here.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you wear a fishing vest, you may have a rod holding system on it. Usually on the lower right, you may find a loop. The butt end of the rod goes there. On the upper left you may have a velcro strap. The rod blank goes there. From there you can retie.

I stopped using vests, so I tuck my rod between my arm and my body (armpit tucker).

MP
Old 06-26-2009, 11:18 AM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I use the loop and velcro when I know I need a lot of time doing something. Most of the time it's under my armpit.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 AM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road

i drop it in the water. where it should be.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM

jcl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
i drop it in the water. where it should be.
I ought to just make that plan, instead of my result. That way, when I've got the rod tucked under my arm and turn around and see the reel 6 inches down in the current, I can smile with the satisfaction of a job well done.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM

PAMike is on a distinguished road

armpit. mouth or stream bed......just clean your reel if it gets sand or dirt in it. one should clean and lube their reels a couple times a year anyway so you may as well give yourself a reason.....