The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 PM

fishingkidpa is on a distinguished road
Default How to use flies in fly fishing?

i just got a starter kit for fly fishing. now its winter and i have no idea what fly to use or how to present it.
soon it will be spring. I know you have to "match the hatch" for flies but could you just give me the basics on what flies will produce and how to use them, do i let them sink or do i let it set for a couple seconds and recast it. i know how to cast and stuff and i saw how to use the wooley bugger, for nypmths they said you have to use a strike indicator, it looks like a bobber for fly fishing but im unsure. please educate me about using flies and that kind of stuff. thanks!!!
again, i am totally new to fly fishing and anything will help. ive been practicing and hopefully will be able to get to the stream this saturday
Old 02-08-2011, 10:16 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to use flies in fly fishing?

Hey Pa,

Welcome to the forum! you've found a great place.

I wish I could answer your questions-- But I (and anyone else) will need more info about the waters you'll be fishing, what species your target is, etc.

If you are just beginning, I almost always recommend that you go to a still water environ-- a lake, and fish for sunnies, bluegill, etc. They will hit about anything, you will get the feel for what a take feels like with a fly rod, etc.

As far as flies, I'd say start with woolies-- any fish will take them, there is no 'wrong' way to fish them, they don't really imitate any food source-- just look tasty and big.

Until you are a little more into things, I'd say don't bother with matching the hatch-- it will seem daunting.... stick with buggers, 'attractors', and (along the same lines as buggers) don't forget streamer patterns.

my .02
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 PM

fishingkidpa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Hey Pa,

Welcome to the forum! you've found a great place.

I wish I could answer your questions-- But I (and anyone else) will need more info about the waters you'll be fishing, what species your target is, etc.

If you are just beginning, I almost always recommend that you go to a still water environ-- a lake, and fish for sunnies, bluegill, etc. They will hit about anything, you will get the feel for what a take feels like with a fly rod, etc.

As far as flies, I'd say start with woolies-- any fish will take them, there is no 'wrong' way to fish them, they don't really imitate any food source-- just look tasty and big.

Until you are a little more into things, I'd say don't bother with matching the hatch-- it will seem daunting.... stick with buggers, 'attractors', and (along the same lines as buggers) don't forget streamer patterns.

my .02
thanks. i will be targeting mostly trout, rainbow and browns. occasional largemouth. for the trout i will be going to streams with slow and fast stretches. The bass i will fish for will be in retention ponds. Will a woolie work in the winter? can i send u a Personal Message if i have questions?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

I'd check for "hatch" reports on the web near whatever location you want to fish. A lot of shops and sites offer advice in report form. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Welcome Kid,
Fly fishing is one of the most rewarding activities I know of. For me, it combines technical stuff, skills, gear, and the outdoors.

That being said, the learning curve is steep, which can turn off an otherwise capable individual with great potential.

My suggestion is to hook up with someone who can help you get started. A guide would fit the bill.

You could try and learn alone but chances are your frustration will keep you from learning the basics which a knowledgeable fellow could teach you in just a few outings.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Use the internet and Google. I had no one teach me, I decided I wanted to try it and bought a cheap combo and some gear. Bought a dvd and read a lot of articles online. Once I caught some fish, the spinning rod never gets used for trout fishing. Watch other people when you go fishing, you can tell if they have more experience than you. You can always learn something, might be what not to do but then again it might be something useful. It will be tough at first having no mentor, but keep at it and you will be hooked for life on fly fishing.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:24 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Pa,
Sure you can pm me. (although, I thinks there is a post limit before you can pm-- 5 or 10 posts I think...) I'll send you one, and I think you can reply.????

I do have one caveat: I'm in Kansas City-- no native trout waters near me--

I'm a bass fisher (gotta work with what I can... ) So, my stream knowledge is rusty- and, compared to many on this site- rudimentary....

The suggestion to get a guide is a great one.

If you are 'wintered in' like many of us, read all you can, watch videos-- there are tons on youtube, ask questions here, etc.

The learning curve is fairly steep, but once things 'click' you'll know it and you will never regret putting the time in. Sounds like you can cast, so you are most of the way there...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:38 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingkidpa View Post
thanks. i will be targeting mostly trout, rainbow and browns. occasional largemouth. for the trout i will be going to streams with slow and fast stretches. The bass i will fish for will be in retention ponds. Will a woolie work in the winter? can i send u a Personal Message if i have questions?
fishingkidpa, if you're targeting trout in winter time, can't go wrong with nymph patterns:

hares ears
prince nymphs
pheasant tails
copper johns
san juan worms will also work.
and glo bugs (colored fuzzy little balls that imitate fish eggs)....they've always worked for me in the winter time.....

and using a strike indicator will really increase your chances of detecting that fat rainbow on the end of your line....

good luck and post pictures!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about "matching the hatch" 'kid.
Trout only key in on a specific bug about 15% of the time that they're feeding and even then it's still not nearly as important as your presentation.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

hey pa,

rain I think gave you some of the best advise I have ever gotten myself. Buggers in black and olive in a few sizes will destroy fish. And I also agree that fishing a small still water pond for panfish is a great way to catch fish while getting in good practice on your casting, which is one of the most important things when fly fish as it is how the presentation is achieved.

Fly Fishing Articles

I found that Douglas Macnair's articles where excellent for learning a few basics on how it all works, selecting gear, and learning a little about the different approaches to take with certain species of fish.

try to never get discouraged and the Internet is one of your best friends for info
best of luck

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'