The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough
Default American Fly Fishing Magazines

Hey you red-blooded american guys-can anyone recommend a good AMERICAN fly fishing/tying magazine? Here in england I'm pretty spoiled with four monthly publications of which I'll only use letters-TF,TFF,FF&FT and T&S. Some of you will likely recognise a few of these. I find they all are excellent for articles and info not only relating to trout and salmon, but many other species which take the fly including saltwater, but as far as american equivalents I was rather disappointed with the ones I bought while visiting the states last year. The ones I bought had only a few articles, lovely pictures and lots of adverts, but hardly any fly patterns-unlike the uk magazines which normally average between 20-40 patterns per magazine with full recipes included. Thanks Guys
Old 02-10-2011, 09:19 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Fly Fishing Magazines

Flyfishing & Tying Journal from Amato Books has a lot of great stuff including many flies, pics and recipes.

Welcome to AmatoBooks.com!

I also subscribe to American Angler.

Kelly.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough

Fly Rod & Reel and The Drake are probably my two favorite stateside magazines. There's also a number of high-quality online magazines based in the US.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

American Angler and Fly Tyer are two of my choices...

Dan
Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Thanks, Fellas-Wow! Some of the places you come from sound very intriguing as far as fly fishing-Idaho. Montana. I'll take your advice as I did manage to get a copy of Fly Tying Journal and it was the best I've seen, but difficult to get here in england. To the fellow in Monroe, Montana-is St Regis Really the fly fishing capital of the world?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

BLOOD KNOT! We are debuting the "Wraps" section about tying! Free everywhere in the world.
Rory
Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiii View Post
Fly Rod & Reel and The Drake are probably my two favorite stateside magazines. There's also a number of high-quality online magazines based in the US.
"The Drake" all the way.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

At one point years ago I has scripts to all of em, it got to the point I had way to many magazines laying around, and the total cost was silly. I started to narrow down my choices over time, eventually I settled on only Flytyer and Northwest Fly fishing, and now only Northwest Fly fishing.
northwest fly fishing magazine - Northwest Fly Fishing Subscription [Magazine-Agent.com]

As you mentioned, many of them are short on substance and long on advertisements.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
At one point years ago I has scripts to all of em, it got to the point I had way to many magazines laying around, and the total cost was silly. I started to narrow down my choices over time, eventually I settled on only Flytyer and Northwest Fly fishing, and now only Northwest Fly fishing.
northwest fly fishing magazine - Northwest Fly Fishing Subscription [Magazine-Agent.com]

As you mentioned, many of them are short on substance and long on advertisements.
Yes, Thanks-my sister recently took out a subscription to Northwest Fly Fisher and sent the Sept-Oct and Nov-Dec issues at Christmas so looking forward to the next issues. I found them very good especially as they cover some of the areas I fished last summer while over there in eastern Washington. Some beautiful pictures, but still far too many advertisers to my way of thinking-I know it helps to have sponsors, but why charge for the mag then?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, good point.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*