The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Ordered my son a new outfit

My 10 year old son managed to break the tip section off his 4wt rod last summer, so I gave him a 4wt Sage Launch I seldom used.

He was a bit reluctant to use it after the experience of breaking a rod and thought a heavier rod would be better.

I was browsing the online shop of one of our sponsors ReelFlyRod.com and found a closeout deal on a Redington Crosswater 9' 5wt outfit I couldn't pass up.
Then I looked on eBay for a case and found a Redington rod/reel case for a good price.
He is excited now! Hope it makes him forget the bad experience with the broken rod and get back to enjoying fly fishing.

BTW - the rod broke because of abuse, he was pulling on the leader to remove a strike indicator.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Ordered my son a new outfit

Update -
Got the outfit today!

We took it out and tried a bit of casting in the yard to see how it felt to him.

I must say I'm impressed with this outfit! I tried it and was holding very tight loops with my false casting with about 30-40' of line out and a short
(1:00/11:00 o'clock) casting stroke. I could easily feel the rod load, and it just has a good "feel" to it.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this outfit to anyone. I believe it may be the best economy priced outfit I have ever cast!

Glad I bought it for him, it should be great for him to learn the "feel" of a good cast!