The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 AM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TIPPET SNOBS...7x, 15ft Really Necessary?

I could agree with swirlchaser it comes down to a confidence issue...
If your using 5x and happy with your results then who cares what everyone else says. If your using 5x and not so happy you may want to experiment and if someone that says 6 or 7x is key I would start there especially if your using the same flies.

I use 6x on a regular basis this time of year and a round 12'.

But it really comes down to what your throwing and what your throwing to, along with several other factors I may consider on any given day but for the most part IMO 18-24 midge dries yes 6x all day long.......
Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

George Harvey has spent more time experimenting with leaders, than I have time left to fish in my life. I tie way too many wind knots to bother tying my own leaders. It's not worth my time or money. I've also heard all of these song and dance arguments about tying the perfect leaders as well. I am inclined to think that that is unnecessary also. How could it be any better than taking a machine tapered Orvis leader out of the package, straightening it, and lashing a fly onto the end of it?

Many times I don't even use tippet, Ill fish a couple of days with a leader, and then have to discard it becasue of wind knots. I just count it as part of the cost. Maybe someday I'll fix my casting and start using tippet also.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have no problem with using 7x or 8x tippet material as long as it has the name "Puglisi Powerful" or Seaguar attached to it...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
George Harvey has spent more time experimenting with leaders, than I have time left to fish in my life. I tie way too many wind knots to bother tying my own leaders. It's not worth my time or money. I've also heard all of these song and dance arguments about tying the perfect leaders as well. I am inclined to think that that is unnecessary also. How could it be any better than taking a machine tapered Orvis leader out of the package, straightening it, and lashing a fly onto the end of it?

Many times I don't even use tippet, Ill fish a couple of days with a leader, and then have to discard it becasue of wind knots. I just count it as part of the cost. Maybe someday I'll fix my casting and start using tippet also.
The leader is the most important component of your fishing system. More important than the reel, rod, line and even the fly. Ard was right on in a recent post when he said that tying your own leaders was like a mini course in fly fishing physics (or something like that )
Using a proper leader will not only help with your presentation, but those pesky wind knots too
Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Was just now looking at some tippet for the coming year and saw some 12X!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Fifteen foot 7x (or 8x in some cases). Are there cases for it? There could be, but most of us will never have to go that route.

MP
Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The leader is the most important component of your fishing system. More important than the reel, rod, line and even the fly. Ard was right on in a recent post when he said that tying your own leaders was like a mini course in fly fishing physics (or something like that )
Using a proper leader will not only help with your presentation, but those pesky wind knots too
I won't debate that it is the most important piece of equipment between myself and the trout. I can see the importance. Are you saying that the peice/knotted hand made leaders are better than the Orvis machine extruded taper? In the world of trout fishing physics, the extruded taper seems to be a perfect representation of what is being produced imperfectly by hand.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I won't debate that it is the most important piece of equipment between myself and the trout. I can see the importance. Are you saying that the peice/knotted hand made leaders are better than the Orvis machine extruded taper? In the world of trout fishing physics, the extruded taper seems to be a perfect representation of what is being produced imperfectly by hand.
Go with the Windsor
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I certainly don't use 15', 7X leaders all of the time, but if you don't on a certain tailwater we fish you are likely to go home saying the fish ain't biting.
First off, you have to thread a size 22-24 or even 26 midge on. That simply isn't happening with 4 or 5X.
You need as little drag and what is called micro-drag as possible. The thinner the tippet the more supple.
When going deep the thinner the tippet the less water resistance from the current. This is a major reason why your friends up north 'chuck 'n duck', less drag.
You need a very smooth drag on your reel to use long., thin leaders if you plan on landing big fish quickly. The rod is very important too. Too stiff and you lose.

When Harvey and friends were making leaders the material itself was MUCH weaker for a given diameter. They had to 'go big or go home'.
Modern tapered knotless leaders have improved to the point that they are far superior in knotted leaders in many ways. The idea behind knotted leaders was to downsize a thick butt section gradually into a fine tip section. The key word is 'gradually'. A knotted leader does this in algae-grabbing steps while a well-made modern tapered knotless leader progressively tapers along its entire length.
Knotted leaders were invented simply because there was no viable option 'back in the day'.

Anyhow, on the Ausable or Manistee 15', 7X is silly. One size does not fit all however and where I fish in a wide, slow, crystal clear tail race the long, thin leaders work, plain and simple.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can buy a perfectly good extruded leader, but you can tie one that better fits a situation.
When you tie your own leaders, you are better equipped to understand what's needed to properly turn over different sized flies, fight the wind, and get a decent drag-free drift.