The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Longbowman is on a distinguished road
Default Carrying your Rod & Reel

I was wondering how many of you transport your rod & reels in seperate carrying cases. Example rod case and seperate reel case.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Carrying your Rod & Reel

Always carry rods and reels in seperate cases. Most of the time, I have to go a pretty decent distance for some fishing. But, mostly it's because my car is small and there is no way to fit a 9ft. rod inside that is put together.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

i have a 4 piece 9 ft rod so i had to get a case i decided on a case that allows me to leave the reel atached but it has little dividers inside so that the rod sections dont rub against each other and ruin the finish
Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I carry the rods in their tube and reels, vest, chest pack and other stuff in a plain old gym bag.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I carry my rods in the tubes that they came in and the reels in the neopreme container that Lamson provides.

Larry
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Separate, but my soft reel case has a velcro closure so I loop the reel case through the strap handle of the rod tube.
My other cloth rod bags stay separate from their reels.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

When I go fishing to Austria once a year,or for some days away from home I carry my rods in their tubes and in a special bag(offered by my ex ex father in law),the reels in their cases...when I go fishing for the day I won't tell you how...I don't want to set a very bad example
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
...when I go fishing for the day I won't tell you how...I don't want to set a very bad example
Right now, there's an 8wt all rigged up, just lying in the bed of my truck, another rod (no tube) behind the seat
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I carry my rod in a homemade PVC tube, and my reel in a Kodiak reel case made by Fishpond.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I love rod-and-reel cases and have them for all my tackle. I like to have the tackle ready to go, and at the same time protected.

I have a double 4-piece rod-and-reel case with a medium action 5 wt. and a fast action 6 wt. (slightly overlined with a RIO Grand). Both are 9 ft. I don't even think about which rod I'm going to use until I get to the stream, size up the situation, and devise a strategy. And the two rods act as each other's backups.

Right now I've got my 4 pc. 8 wt. in a single rod-and-reel case, but my wife is thinking about getting an 8 wt. and if she does I'll put both in a double case.

I like the cases from Clear Creek. They'll send you a catalogue, have a web site and will work with you on the phone. I put my reels in a neoprene cover for extra protection.

For your 4 pc. rod, be sure to get a case with four slots for the rod pieces. You don't want them rubbing together! Cabela's cases are less expensive, but only have three slots (unless they've changed this).

Also, by having the rods and reels ready to go, I'm more likely to go out in the yard to practive.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley