The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 03:48 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough
Default Furled Leaders I'd like your thoughts

I have been using furled leaders off and on for several years and I'd love to hear some input from some of you on whether you like them, if yes,do you have a preference of brands, unithread vs. mono vs. fluro ?? Do you like them with the small metal ring ?

Would love to hear from you guys & gals...Thanks...........
Old 02-10-2011, 04:04 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Furled Leaders I'd like your thoughts

I fish warmwater for bass and panfish and find furled leaders work great for my fishing. I've been making my own (twisted leaders) for a year or so now and like the fact I can easily adjust construction (size line and ratio of butt, midsection, and tippet proportions) to fit about any situation.

Never tried a leader with a tippet ring, simply because I like a simple handshake loop connection for the tippet. Bad enough getting strikes on the perfection loop knot without adding a shiny ring to attract more attention to the connection.

I use mono line for dry flies and flouro for wets & nymphs.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Bob,

I, too, furl my own. I use a shorb loop at both ends. As for materials, #2 & 4 mono, A few Flouro for depth, and I love furled. I actually like that mono has some 'stretch' to it as it helps protect lighter tippets-- never had a problem with hook sets or feel with the stretch.

Never used thread-- no reason 'cept for cheap-ness (on my part ) I have a few 1200 yd. spools of mono that cost me about 3 bux. each. Thread is 3 bux for 200 yd....
Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy making them more than using them. I don't do much Trout fishing, in fresh and saltwater my presentation seems ok with a standard leader so I usually don't bother. That didn't stop me from building a jig and making tons of them on my basement two years ago. I furled everything from mono to dental floss just to keep busy through the winter.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Dental Floss-- really? lol. How'd that work out? Swirl-- If I ever meet you, I'm buying you a beer- just for being ingeniously experimental....

After a few, who knows what we could contrive?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I love furled. Ive used both kinds, with and without a tippet ring. I do like the ring. Makes it easier to change out different size tippets. The uni-thread ones are my favorite. They will turn over whatever Im using, dries, nymphs, streamers. Ive even got a furled leader made with kevlar thread to use with my 9wt. The kevlar leader and the others that Ive most recently purchased were from Joni who is a member here. Here is her website.
Ive tried several brands of furled leaders but Joni's have quickly become my favorite.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:15 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Dental Floss-- really? lol. How'd that work out? Swirl-- If I ever meet you, I'm buying you a beer- just for being ingeniously experimental....

After a few, who knows what we could contrive?
Lol, I never used it but I furled it! The winters get the best of me. I can only handle so many Cod trips and the nearest Trout stream is almost 2 hours away so Jan-Feb are tough months for me. All my rod building, fly tieing, leader furling, real maint, blah, blah, blah gets done then. As far as the beers go, if your ever in NYC let me know!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:32 PM

We are getting off topic, but I know exactly where you're coming from. All of my lines have been cleaned, fly boxes stocked, spare boxes stocked, rods cleaned, extra leaders furled (didn't need em-- just passing the time....)

As far as NYC goes, last time I was there was new years going into '98.... went from NYC- back to KC- decided that my trip wasn't over and proceeded to drive-- eventually ending up in La Jolla- San Diego. Stayed there for a spell and brought the scenic road back to KC-- via Cali, Nevada, Cali (again), Oregon,Idaho, Montana, Wyoming/S. Dakota, Neb and Kansas. Best month and a half of my life...
Old 02-10-2011, 05:34 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i learned of furled leaders on this forum... infact i learned how to make them from a link on this site too and although i have never fished with them yet(made about20 of mono,fluoro, and uni thread) i really enjoy making them. i been giving alot of em away to other fly people i know. i love how i can make something that sells for $12plus for $1.50ea.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Anyone want to fill me in on the basics of furled leaders? What/Why/how? Why are you guys using them over mono?