The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overhead Rod position fighting trout

dear friends...that's really too hard for me ...allow me to withdraw discreetly
Old 07-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Here, Here, I cast my vote with brother Jean Paul.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2009, 04:08 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
DFG,

Thanks for the clarifications.

1. What I was talking about was the rapid change in force placed on the line when a fish darts off away from the fisherman. It's when a lot of people will experience a break-off.

2. I agree that there are other factors to take into consideration and I will often play a fish with my rod angled sideways to take advantage of the friction of the line in the water. Also agree that the other factors mentioned; friction from the guides, rod flex and reel drag are substantially equal in either a vertical or horizontal rod fighting position. My point was that rod flex and, to capture your point, friction from the guides, are non-functioning factors if you point your rod at the fish while trying to play him. But they are functioning factors if you have your rod angled away from the fish.

3. 75 degrees is definitely not a magical number to me; it's simply how I hold my rod. It's not a recommendation; it's a report.

4. Impulse may well be what I was referring to. I left Physics behind me as a freshman in undergrad school. So, it's been a while.
No problem. I wish I could have left the Physics behind me as a freshman. I had to endure it pretty much my whole undergrad career.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My rod position depends on several things. Distance from me to the fish. The amount of obstacles it can hit. The likely hood it is about to jump. etc. I do not have a single "pose" while fighting fish. Having a rod high like the orvis picture can be a real bad thing if the fish decides to do a four engine run straight at you. I have had it happen, and I didn't like it. I lost a huge musky that way.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:46 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

DFG,
Now that was a great explanation. I have been accused of being too analytical by friends even when trying to learn the nuances of golf. I agree with your assessment of the constant force a fish puts on ones line. However given say a 6x tippet with a 5 lb trout on a steady course, with a steady depth, holding your rod high the fisherman exerts modest force while allowing for shock absorption by the rod tip and your arm/joints. Holding the rod low or pointing the rod eliminates that shock absorption but places greater force upon the line( with your rod butt, your weight, and your muscles), the leader, the tippet and the fish. In this instance your chances of breaking off are greater but you would be putting greater force upon the fish. This can be easily demonstrated with the use of a fish scale. Now I say this considering all the variables remain the same. My recent experience of holding the rod lower was from fighting LMB. High rod positions allowed the LMB to jump and many lost fish. In the last few months I've kept the rod tip lower, kept the jumping to a minimum and landed more fish. I transitioned this experience with acrobatic trout on the White river and I had better netting success keeping the rod off to one side though still having a higher angle on the rod. I don't mean to over simplify this but I think I'm getting warmer. Again, great explanation and thank you all.
Racine