The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 PM

jr1964 is on a distinguished road
Default Hardy Marksman reels

I'm interested in purchasing a Hardy Marksman reel in a 2/3 model and a 5/6. I just picked up an Abel 0 that my dad has laid a claim to so I'm looking for another reel in the 200.00 to 300.00 range. I generally fish for trout, LM bass, SM bass, crappie and bluegills. The Hardy reels don't seem to be as popular as other reels in this country and very little info about the reels are on the net.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hardy Marksman reels

Sent you a PM

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have not fished the Marksman, but it is a fine looking reel.

Hardy products have not been as popular here in the States due to the poor job that Cortland did in marketing. Hardy has decided to setup its own distribution network. Some of the local shops in my region are now selling Hardy because of the commitment that Hardy is willing to put out to help support them.

Also some got turned off from Hardy because much of the product is made somewhere in Asia rather than England.

Personally, I prefer the classical Hardy reels more than the newer stuff. I'd get a Flyweight for the 2/3 and the Featherweight for the 5/6.

On another note, if you want an option for reels, look at Abel's Creek series. The Creek 1 Large Arbor would be fine for your 2/3, Creek 2 Large Arbor would be fine for you 5/6. The Creek series is a click and pawl reel with modern machining. If "made in the USA" is important to you, Abel reels are made in Camarillo, California.

MP
Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yeah, what Mosca said. If you find a mint Featherweight and an LRH Lightweight; (I've had the Flyweight and thought it way too small for even my flea rod) The earlier reels (Lightweight series) having the enamel finish are really classy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;