The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hair Extensions, Hackle Shortage

Here is an interesting entry from the Idylwilde Flies blog.

In another thread, I mentioned that there is a shortage of saddle hackle. This is due to mostly hair stylists making hair extensions. At the shop that I work at, it is normal for the shop to have on stock anywhere from 80 to 100 half saddle and full saddles. Last week, I could count the number of those on one hand.

I'm glad that I don't need any hackles right now.

MP
Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hair Extensions, Hackle Shortage

Yeah, isn't that something. Hope it's just a passing fad. Around here they are also using it for jewerly.
So who is using the pheasant tails, and peacock herl that our store said the girls are buying.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention the jewelers. Some of the girls have shown me some earrings that they make. I just got an order in of 60 saddles the other day. The bossman made 14 phone calls to all the hair stylists on his list. I wonder how long those will last.

On a positive note, it's nice on the eyes to see some pretty women walk in to the shop for a change.

MP

Note to self: There was a Cree saddle in the shipment. I better keep one for myself.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

The hair extensions idea is asinine IMO but for the dude.......well I guess "To each his own"
This made a little more sense Feather Hair Extensions by Fine Featherheads Hair Feathers
Although I don't think it will help out the already inflated fly tying market....
Glad I have all I need for now
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter is a Stylist.....I best not catch her even so much as casting an errant eye toward my hackle stash!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-11-2011, 01:19 AM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

A lady walked into a shop near me one day and bought $2,000 worth of the stuff... EVERYTHING they had. They make more money on girls buying tying stuff than tyers.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

surprising.Why not open a perfume and make up department in the shop Dennis?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:25 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
surprising.Why not open a perfume and make up department in the shop Dennis?
Don't forget shoes..... Invent some high-heeled wading boots and your golden.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-11-2011, 06:47 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I forgot to mention the jewelers. Some of the girls have shown me some earrings that they make. I just got an order in of 60 saddles the other day. The bossman made 14 phone calls to all the hair stylists on his list. I wonder how long those will last.

On a positive note, it's nice on the eyes to see some pretty women walk in to the shop for a change.

MP

Note to self: There was a Cree saddle in the shipment. I better keep one for myself.
I have brought feathers from jewlers, there was one selling reeves pheasant pelts for far less than any tying store shame I was unable to import it

hair tho not yet over here, probely next year

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM

On average, the stylists spend about $200 per transaction. My boss took a phone order for $1000 which included some Whiting Gold grade saddles. I have taken phone calls from all over the country from stylists looking for saddles.

MP