The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project Healing Waters - Fly Reel Donation is Completed

Good news!

The reel donation for Project Healing Waters in now complete. The reels were shipped out to PHW President, Ed Nicholson, today.

Thanks to everyone's particpation, we were able to donate a total of 12 reels; 10 carbon fiber 5 wt. reels and 2 aluminum 8 wt. reels. These reels are all made by an Italian company called Franco Vivarelli.

:: Franco Vivarelli - Semiautomatics Reels ::

They're special reels in that they all have an automatic retrieve; which is key to their being useful to disabled vets. I think that everyone knows this, but Project Healing Water is a philanthropic organization whose charter is to promote fly fishing as a means of rehabilitating US vets who have been disabled in some way due to military service.

Project Healing Waters

In addition to all of the forum members who PM'd me and made contributions to this donation, I'd also like to acknowledge the staff at Dan Bailey's Fly Shop in Livingston, Montana, who provided the reels for this donation at or below cost and without any shipping charges. John and Christal, thanks a lot.

I'll post again on this topic when I hear back from Ed Nicholson. He wanted to send a thank you note to the forum for this donation.

This is a really good thing that we've all done.

Big Thanks,

Pocono
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Project Healing Waters - Fly Reel Donation is Completed

Great job Pocono and this website!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Allan: Thanks again for organizing this for the rest of us!

Larry
Old 07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Allan for taking part in this project,hope we'll get news and pics from our disabled flyfishing friends with their nice reels.By the way you can tell them if they need any help about how to use and take care of them I can help because I've been using Vivarelli reels for xxx years(I can't remember...the first one was offered to me for Xmas by my father....long ago)
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Thanks to all who participated in the Project Healing Hands. I can only imagine the thrill our GI's will get the first time they hit the water. They probably thought that would never happen again in their life time.

The success was dependent on us who contributed and of course, Pocono. This would not have been successful with out his hard work and generosity. So my hat is off to you Pocono, you have a good heart.

Frank and Fish&Fly
Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Frank. But the success of this donation was really dependent on the contributions from the NAFF forum members and the cooperation of Dan Bailey's Fly Shop. And, perhaps more than anything else, to a thread that was posted on April 12th, by TnTom, entitled "Automatic Fly Reel". From that thread came the idea for this donation.

Right in line with this donation, I got my July/August copy of Eastern Fly Fishing magazine tonight and on the inside back cover I found a picture that reminded me once again why we all particpated in this donation. Here it is:

Click the image to open in full size.

Fly fishing really can be for everyone.

Pocono