The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Do you fly fish all year ? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/1030-do-you-fly-fish-all-year.html)

tie one on 04-04-2006 10:42 AM

Do you fly fish all year ?

Just curious as to what percentage of you all fly fish year round ?

Where I live in West Michigan & the guys I fly fish with, weather does not matter we are in the rivers as often as our schedules allow.

This year the schedule has been a little more on the full side so I/we have not been out as often as I would have liked.

Is weather a factor for you ?
Will you go out if it is raining, or snowing ?

Share your thoughts,

Tie One On

fshfanatic 04-04-2006 11:13 AM

Re: Do you fly fish all year ?

I fish all year round. Good trout in the winter and excellent warmwater fishing during spring and summer. Plus if I want to mix it up a little bit I can hit the highway for 4-5 hours and be fishing in Mexico.

:frogdance:frogdance:frogdance

Joni 04-04-2006 12:04 PM

Here in the Rocky Mountains, I fish year round. Kinda like those size 30 and 32's in the winter.:frogdance

BigCliff 04-04-2006 12:18 PM

I fish year round, but much more when the weather is closer to room temp or just above. I'm excited to be moving into a house 40 yds from a pond so i can fish early on a saturday in august and walk home and take a nap when it gets hot.

HAHA yeah I said YARDS, and only 40 of them! (too bad its mostly full of catfish. guess i'll just become a cat-fly-fishing expert, and maybe i'll switch my title to "catflyer")

Roughrider 04-05-2006 11:14 PM

Absolutely I fish year round! I live 30 minutes from the San Juan and it is a tailwater so it is fishable 365 days a year. I actually prefer to fish when it is raining or snowing as there are fewer people on the water. A little peace on the river is nice periodically when the norm is people everywhere. I hope it snows or rains tomorrow and I will be on the water. I also fish in AZ alot so much of the water is ice free year round.

Tangle 04-06-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tie one on
Where I live in West Michigan & the guys I fly fish with, weather does not matter we are in the rivers as often as our schedules allow.

That about sums it up for us as well since we live in Michigan. However, much of the river time has to be shared with an awesome lake that we ice fish on. It's great fun for the kids.

Outdoorarki 04-07-2006 06:50 AM

I fish when I get a chance,rain,sleet or snow.

steelheadrob 04-09-2006 02:28 PM

All year round here on Vancouver Island. My goal is to catch a steelhead in every month. :p

JBinUTAH 04-10-2006 04:20 AM

Spring, summer, fall, and depending on the winter. This year no.

tightlines57 04-10-2006 09:11 AM

In Arizona we are lucky enough to have access to almost any type of fishing year round. Trout, bass, sunfish, carp, saltwater or whatever you want to chase. From my house I can be at a lake in less than 5 minutes or I can drive 2 - 4 hours for top quality fly fishing. :frogdance