The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default seriously thinking about getting into tenkara....

has anyone here tried it?

many of the waters and tributaries in this area are TOTALLY tenkara-able....

AND with all the money i've spent accumulating fly fishing equipment throughout the course of how-ever-many-years already, what's another $165 for a tenkara rod?.....right?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 PM

trout333 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: seriously thinking about getting into tenkara....

Sounds like fun! Might as well go for it. Why not??? I've never tried it personally.

I started fly fishing on tiny streams in Western Virginia (Shenandoah Mountains) for small 6"-12" Brook Trout on a 3wt. Lots of high sticking small/medium dries while hunched behind boulders and such. I think a Tenkara rod would be awesome to fish my old stomping grounds with!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:30 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Looks awesome go for it. Kind of looks like fancy cane pole fishing form when I was 5 but with fly line and flies instead of worms and a bobber

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

it appears one of the fly shops in town carries tenkara rods.... according to their website... i'm gonna have to go there and check it out.... a little tax return present for myself.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout333 View Post
Sounds like fun! Might as well go for it. Why not??? I've never tried it personally.

I started fly fishing on tiny streams in Western Virginia (Shenandoah Mountains) for small 6"-12" Brook Trout on a 3wt. Lots of high sticking small/medium dries while hunched behind boulders and such. I think a Tenkara rod would be awesome to fish my old stomping grounds with!
perfect situation for tenkara!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 AM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

Your going to enjoy tenkara. There is, of course, the liberating simplicity. But the soft presentation and being able to keep almost all your line off the water, is where it shines as a fishing technique. I came to tenkara through the portability it offered for backpacking, yet now fish it most of the time. Flicking a cast from the 2 to 3 ounce rod with just a small wrist movement is just a pleasure.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

If you want to check out tenkara, check these guys out, it's tenkara rods in the $50-80 price range.

Place an Order - Tenkara Fly Fishing
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

This past weekend our local TU chapters had our annual expo. I got to mess around with the 12' Tenkara USA Iwana for about an hour. Very easy to cast, and quite accurate putting a small piece of yarn down where I wanted it. Stop the cast at 12:00 and lay it down lightly. Talking to a friend who's been fishing one for a couple years, mentioned how easy it is to cast to the other side of the bank and using the combination of the length of the rod and the length of the leader (26' including your arm length) to keep the fly along the far bank. Something you have a very hard time doing with a conventional 9' fly rod.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Not exactly Tenkara but I have a friend that took a 12 fly rod blank, put spinning rod guides on it and fishes it with a fly reel loaded with mono. He pretty much flops the fly down where he wants it. I have seen that guy out fish everyone on the stream many,many times. He is in this late 60's and was taught this method by his uncle. It works and I have been tempted several times to build one up. I guess it is similar to a noodle rod with a fly reel seat. By the way I spent four years in Japan and watched the Japanese fish the banks with these rods many a time and it is effective. Kind of wish I bought a few rods while I was there.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:49 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I know there are a lot of people out there who use tenkara rods for lightweight backpacking, which seems like a cool idea. I don't mind carrying the extra few ounces so that I can fish traditional western methods in some pristine, personally.

I also don't think I like the idea of trying to land a fish without a reel. I've seen the diagram on how it's done, but playing a fish with both the rod and reel is part of the joy for me. It does seem like a really relaxed method of fishing. I think that would be the biggest draw if I were to ever consider it.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 PM

Softouch333 will become famous soon enough

Landing fish with tenkara, in my experience, has been both simpler and quicker. The angler gains "nose up" control of the fish more quickly as there is no line slack to be reeled and no stripping pause. The lithe rod provides remarkable shock absorption, yet tippet diameter is typically limited to 5X to protect tip sections (though I push that down to 4X regularly without failure). Some remarkably large fish have been landed, yet I think for the average angler breakoffs with larger fish will be more frequent.

There is certainly a classic pleasure in working a fish on-reel and the sound of running reel could bring me out of a coma, yet I'm inclined to think that playing a fish on the supple tenkara rod is more exciting with smaller fish, and chasing a fish with a tenkara rod down a run can be heart pounding. It certainly has been getting grins from the likes of Craig Matthews, Ed Engle, Yvon Chouinard, and John Geirach. It is best suited to small waters of course, but seeing Matthews fish the Madison with it makes me want to push it. I typically fish out to 24 feet, not a long reach, but heck, I'm losing sight of the fly beyond that anyhow, and the further out, the lower my hook-up percentage. Snags are definitly fewer, though tree snags and water snags are more of a problem to clear. It long reach makes drag free drifts the norm and that's its greatest fishing advantage.

As for backpacking, it is unsurpassed. Even my Winston LT 5-piece 4-weight with a 3-4 Eastfork weighs 4 times as much, not insignificant in these days of ultralight gear. But more important, my tenkara rod is always rigged on the side of my pack. I have slipped it out of my side straps, and fished it in 30 seconds with my pack still on! I am testing waters I would have walked by if it required a rigging up. I can fish with a trekking pole in one hand and I can instantly collapse it to bushwack through stuff that would turn back a rigged up western rod. Because it has no guides, I can use the rod to push back light brush and extend drifts. And because of its much more reponsive tip control I can make one fly make do more often and sling shot a fly through a two foot opening. Backcountry, tenkara has few if any limitations.

Probably the thing that sold me more than anything else and made me want to put it in a book, is seeing kids pick up a tenkara rod and catch a fish on a fly with little or no instruction. We need more anglers of all ages to ensure the conservation and restoration of our streams and lakes. We need to turn away fewer beginners with fly fishing complexity.

Hope that's not too preachy. I've got a lot of time and money in my fly rods, and a lot of good memories too. I'm not givng them up. But darn, this tenkara thing is a lot of fun in a simple, inexpensive package. It ain't goin' away.