The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 08:46 AM

fredthefishhead is on a distinguished road
Default Need a reel for a TFO TiCr-x

I just purchased a 9' 9 wt. TFO TiCr-x rod on ebay and need to match a reel. I will be fishing for Bones in Belize this summer, and am also thinking of using it on Permit and Tarpon if I can and next year it will be my go to Salmon rod. Mostly I will be wading out on the flats, but I will likely hire a guide at least once to go for the tarpon. I know they are very fast rods and I may need to overline it with a 10 wt. fly line. I have been looking through a bunch of reviews and have decided my budget is under $200. I am considering getting a second spool (usually I have one with floating line, one with sinking), but I don't know if that is really necessary in the flats. Ideally I would like a reel that holds 200 yrds of 20# backing, has an anadized finish, is machined rather than cast, and has a sealed drag. Nothing really matches all those criteria but the ones I like are:
Colton CrgII
Amundson TXS
Lamson Konic or Guru
Sage 1680 or 1880 (only differance I see is the paint)
Which one do you all think would be the best match for me? Any thing else at my price point I should consider. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Fred
Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a reel for a TFO TiCr-x

I cannot comment on the Colton or Amundson.

I am not sure if the Sage reels or the Lamson Guru are durable enough for day in/day out salt usage.

The Lamson Guru would probably be best fit. It is machined from barstock aluminum and is anodized. I would go with the Guru 3.5 model. If you want to knit pick on capacity, spool on just enough 30 pound test Dacron backing to cover the arbor and top it off with some sort of 50 pound test super braid backing.

Here is a warning about many super braided lines. Depending on the braid, they can be rather abrasive. Your rod guides can take the abuse, but your fingers can get line burn rather easily.

For most flats fishing, a tropical floating line is what you will need. Some of the regular flats fishers may recommend a ghost (intermediate) tip.

Keep in mind that a 9 weight rod is rather light for adult tarpon. Rods rated 10 to 12 weight are recommended for adults, and rods rated 7 to 9 are better for juveniles.

MP
Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback MP.....I was begining to wonder if anyone was going to jump in I have narrowed things down a bit myself in the last couple of days. Like you, I don't think the Sage reels will hold up to the salt water use I have planned, plus I don't think they can carry a 10 wt. fly line if I need to go that route to cast my TiCr-x. But the price point on the Lamson Guru is just too much for my budget. I've narrowed it down to 3:

Colton Crg2--drawback is that the drag isn't sealed. I spoke with the owner of the company and he claims it is not a problem with good freshwater rinsing after every use.
Amundson TXS--also doesn't have a sealed drag and doesn't hold as much backing.
Lamson Konic--it's drawback is that it is a cast reel rather than machined, but it does have a sealed drag.
I'm also looking at used reel deals on ebay, but prefer new when it comes to a reel.

So the big question is what is more important.....a sealed drag or a machined reel (as opposed to cast). It sounds like I can get away from the reduced capacity on backing by just using 50 yds of braded. I assume you put that on the reel first, and the 20-30# dacron next to keep from wearing out my fingers and rod guides.

Another question I have is wether or not an extra spool is necessary. Typically I like to buy a floating and a sinking fly line when I go after fresh water fish and put them on different spools, but in the flats I assume I will only use floating line to keep it off the coral heads. A weighted fly should bring the fly down to where the fish are. As for tarpon.......I'll probably be fishing for juveniles, if I go for the big guys, I'll probably be using the guides equipment b/c I know a 9 wt. rod will probably snap at the tip.

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred
Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Cast is not necessarily a bad thing. Usually you have to deal with tolerance issues and inconsistencies of the casting process.

The Konic is made from a pressure casting process rather than a gravity process. There are less chances for inconsistencies of being in the cast since the molten aluminum is set at a constant pressure.

After the pieces are cooled, they are CNC machined. This allows the tolerances to be tighter than standard cast reels.

The Konic is a very durable reel. One of my friends took a job as a guide in the Kenai. He was in charge of sourcing fly fishing equipment because the lodge traditionally used conventional gear. He outfitted the lodge with Konic reels from the number 2 size up to the number 4 size. The reels have not failed from all the day in/day out usage.

If you choose the Konic, make sure to give it a regular rinsing after a day in the salt.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 02-13-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-13-2011, 01:41 PM

With respect to the Lamson Reels, do I need a 4 or a 3.5 in both the guru and the konic? It seems like the guru will work with a 10 wt line in the 3.5 model, but for the konic, I need a 4. There is a good deal on the konic 3.5 right now on ebay, but I don't want to get it if I really need the konic 4
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I have an 8 wt TICRx and i use a cortland endurance that i picked up cheaply, seems to work well, and it is cheap enough that if it gets ruined in the salt it doesnt ruin your week.

I have both 8 wt and 9 wt line for my TICRx, the line i think my 8 wt casts best with is a 9 wt rio ridgeline.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Spend the money for the Konic 4 because you get two things that are important. You get capacity and a faster retrieval rate due to the increased diameter.

I talked with a friend who has that 9 weight TiCrX rod. He uses a WF10F SA Mastery Redfish line as his all around tropical line with that rod.

MP