The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 07:22 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road
Default Flies

Did you ever ask yourself whats the most important thing catching trout.Well ITS THE FLY......Its THE closest thing to the fish .............Duh.If it were your go to fly what would it be.Pick a good one..
Old 07-03-2009, 08:01 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flies

For Colorado tail waters, I'd say Churchill's sparkle wing RSII size 18-20 grey.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:14 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I dont think its the fly, its knowing how to read the water and use the fly, but to pick a go to fly, for just about any species of fish, it would be the good 'ol wollybugger.
Bear
Old 07-04-2009, 12:45 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
For Colorado tail waters, I'd say Churchill's sparkle wing RSII size 18-20 grey.
Amen to that. I tie a lot of variations of the RSII but if you strip'em down they are all RSII at heart. Another one the fish seem to love is Barr's emerger
Peace.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:23 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

My go to fly has always been the Adams #16. It almost always finds a fish. It may not take it but it whacks at it and lets me switch to another fly to go after it with.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie z View Post
Did you ever ask yourself whats the most important thing catching trout.Well ITS THE FLY......Duh
IMHO.... it's not the fly. It's the presentation.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

I guess were you fish they arent selective.Must be stockies.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
IMHO.... it's not the fly. It's the presentation.
I agree 100% i think you need confidence too, if I go out with the attitude that I am going to catch fish I usually do!!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Re: Flies

Hi Ronnie Z,

I think if you did a poll you would find that not many agree with you that the fly is most important. For me the fly would be way down the list. I think the size of the fly can be more important than the actual fly you pick with selective fish. If the fish were feeding on only one special fly and you gave it to a person who doesn't know how to present it to the fish, he won't be successful.

You may be a very successful fly fisher and have honed your skills down to a science. In your case the fly choice may be critical to your success. But, to most of us I think the fly selection is not critical.

Frank
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 PM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road

I agree with Frank somewhat. I find myself working more on how the fish are feeding, and completing a presentation to that pattern. To illustrate, yesterday I was fishing the inlet of a mountain lake. In the morning, they were smacking anything with wings and floated. Yesterday evening, wouldn't take a dry on a bet even though they were almost flopping in my lap. Changed to a small nymph matching the general color of the hatch going on, presented it like an emerger, and bango, back in the action. I don't have the most experience, and have just recently picked up a fly rod after a long leave of absence, so this may just be where my focus is at the moment, but so far it works for me. YMMV