The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough
Default Guide Responsibilities

Ok so here is my question… What responsibilities to guides have to the water they make their living on? Obviously on public water they share the responsibilities for caring for the fishery with the other anglers who also fish it. But what about private water, or water a guide or shop may have exclusive rights to? What are your thoughts?
Old 07-04-2009, 03:20 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guide Responsibilities

A guide should ALWAYS show the very best consrvation pratices on the water. Knowing about the not only the laws but common sense when it comes to C&R or keeping a few for the client to eat. I am talking ALL water here NOT just trout streams, where C&R is the best way to go, but in lakes species like crappie, bream, and others can be harvested with out hurting the fishery. They should be rollmodels not only to the clients but to the others fishing and or useing the water when it comes to picking up trash, not only your own, but that, that others have left behind. Not only should he or she do this on their own water, but EVERY body of water thye fish.
Bear
Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 PM

Couldn't agree more thanks Bear
Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Wise words Bear...now I understand why bears are allowed to vote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:28 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

Guides should set an example on respecting the enviroment and the prey they are going after. The scene should be left equal to or better than when they arrived.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

deomojo: I couldn't agree more with what Bear has said. I've used a number of guides over the years and have always found that they respect the waters they fish and make a living from. Just curious as to why you asked the question, did you run into a guide that didn't respect the fishery he was using?

Larry
Old 07-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
deomojo: I couldn't agree more with what Bear has said. I've used a number of guides over the years and have always found that they respect the waters they fish and make a living from. Just curious as to why you asked the question, did you run into a guide that didn't respect the fishery he was using?

Larry
Not as such
I began thinking about it after watching the guides that operate on a stretch of private water owned by the the company I work for . It is a remarkable fishery and with a little help could be one of the best in the state. After observing the operation for several years it seems as if the resource is treated more like a cash cow than the jewel it actually is. For the most part the guides are excellent as far as their on stream procedures go. But there is no effort made to better the fishery, ie removal of debris after high water, reconstruction of stream structure or feeding stations that are often destroyed by runoff, trail and shore work to provide easier access with less impact on the land and the stream. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying this is stuff they ought to be doing, but someone needs to. I have offered to help and they look at me like I’m a nut. So I thought I would ask around and see what other folks thought. It begs the question, is there more to conservation than just practicing catch and release and going to TU fundraisers?
Thanks for listening,
Tim
Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

"I have offered to help and they look at me like I’m a nut."

Hi deomojo,

Did you talk to the guides or to the Company Official who is responsible for the private water. It is always smart to deal with the highest level that you can get access to. If you can get access to a higher level manger you might enlist a Fish Biologist from the local college or fish and game. An expert will always get more attention.

Frank
Old 07-05-2009, 07:05 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Showing fish respect, and caring for the waters you guide on is job one. Getting a client into a fish is secondary (but I don't tell them that).
To change or "improve" a riparian area is a job for groups of people with extensive knowledge and backing of Forest service, fish and game, the State, etc. Private waters need care as well, but is up to the land owner to care, and cultivate it in his guides.
I carry a bag for trash (we give trash score points, as well as fish points).
Sharing stories of animals that can suffer entanglement from discarded fishing line, and six pack holders is part of my briefing. Invasive plants and animals are covered too. We talk about how fish have the same basic needs we do, how we handle them carefully, and why we recycle them for others to appreciate as well.
The funny thing is, the more care we show to the land, the better it gets for us. Often, when a client sees how much you care and how the whole thing works, they may leave caring a little more. I like hope I'm helping to create green citizens. What an important job we have, and we get to fish a lot too!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with Bear and Big fly,I guided for some years in Austria for the Mohr Life Resort which owns about 10km of the Loisach,in this country many of the best streams or rivers belong to hotels and lodges with strict regulations.Some customers are eager to learn and enjoy environment,landscapes,watching wild animals but a few are here only to catch as many fish as they can.It's sometimes hard to change someone's way of considering flyfishing in a week.A simple example,I always fish barbless but most customers come with barbed hooks...so you have to tell them to pinch it...and sometimes there are cheaters...I remember once we had a man and his 16 year old son,we had to watch him...closely.There are paths for hikers by the streamside and a little wooden bridge where people often stand to watch ducks and trout,children enjoy thowing bread to ducks and ducklings which rush to catch it in the stream...but after a while green backed submarines with black spots and a purple stripe come to the surface and chase ducks to eat the bread.Every year we went there with our clients to show them big bows...Once we were fishing not very far from the bridge,while I was taking care of the father,the son went upstream alone...when I realized he wasn't there I decided to find him...when I got near him I understood what he was doing...he had brought some bread to make the big bows go out and had hooked a piece of bread on his fly.I was very angry about him but it was nothing in comparison with my friend the fischmeister...if he had been here at this precise moment he would have thrown him into the water!The days after I was wondering what to do and was not very motivated to teach him anything...and my friend refused to look after him.The fischmeister told me:JP I have taught many people in my life but for some of them I deeply regret what I've done.
Here's the patch I wore on my vest: teach to catch,teach to release,protect fish.
ps I 've recently contacted Frank about a dreadful photo of a salmon posted in the gallery,Ard if he comes back in your region and you ever meet him I'm sure you'll tell him a few gentle words...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 900.jpg (96.7 KB, 88 views)