The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Hockeyref is on a distinguished road
Default First ever catch with Fly Rod

Caught my first ever fish with fly tackle.... I'm just getting into it and we were at Keystone State park for a family cook out. I took my spinning stuff as well as the "cheapie beater rod" that I put together until I can get the "good one" built (St Croix Reign, still deciding on the reel). Rod was an Eagle Claw (Black Eagle) 8'6" 6-7wt. Pfleuger 1494 from Ebay, Cortland Fair Play WF6F Floating Rocket. Used a Cortland #9 "Dave's Hoper"....

I was just whipping the line around getting a feel for loading the rod and watching the line... etc. My brother said I should just stick with golf and why don't I tie something on and get the line wet... My wife giggled and threw her own jab.. "you think you can actually catch something witht hat thing?" So I look what I have with me, tie onthe hopper and go splash it down. about the 4th cast this sucker came up from below and jumed out of the water as it took it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July_2009_Keystone.JPG (17.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-04-2009, 10:05 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice
Default Re: First ever catch with Fly Rod

Congrats!!!!

That is how the addiction starts.. That one fish that exploded the water and pooffffff.. you are an addict... Next it will be that big fish that takes off down to your backing turns around and spits the fly back to you before you can coordinate arms line and reels..

Good luck and welcome
Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations! I agree-the addition begins! Once you get on a river and spot a likely place for a trout to lie, make the perfect cast, the fly floats perfect, right over where you just know a fish should be, see the splash, watch the fly disappear and feel the tug-there's nothing like it! How did it all feel afterwards?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
...... How did it all feel afterwards?

Short while after that one was released I got to feel the other side of it.... the next hit left me with slack line and no fly...
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Steve- Congratulations on your fish. Great job! You're off to a great start.

And that's a great story- you really stuck it to the peanut gallery.. Now that you're the family fly fishing expert you can help your wife and brother pick out their own outfits

Nice goin'.

mark
Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 AM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations.

I'll never forget my first fish on a fly rod. It took me three weeks before I landed my first fish. And by three weeks, I mean I went fishing pretty much every night after work and all weekend for three weeks before I found a cutthroat dumb enough to take my Royal Wulff. I'm sure I missed an evening or two, but it was on the third Saturday before I caught one.

I was so excited, I released the fish, reeled up and went home to brag to my roommates. After I got the skunk off, I didn't feel the need to go every single night after work. I probably trimmed it back to three nights a week and all weekend.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Your life has changed forever! Hopefully your new addiction isn't so bad that you are going to have to sell your hockey skates.

MP
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! They're much more fun with a fly rod !
Old 07-05-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Your life has changed forever! Hopefully your new addiction isn't so bad that you are going to have to sell your hockey skates.MP
Not likely... what do ya think pays for all my toys and hobbies?

BTW... I hooked into a couple bluegills today (great fun watching them swim up and hit the fly... Also watched a couple trout come up, nose bump, and turn tail on everything I had to offer! Dad said that there would be days like this
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM

deomojo will become famous soon enough

Congratulations,
Nice fish. My first fish was a 8" Brookie on a San Juan Worm.
My dad caught his first over Memorial day. Many happy returns, or should I say releases
TM