The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 PM

Hoser41 is on a distinguished road
Default River question

Live in the Sierra foothills about an hour from Lake Tahoe. In the area there are many small and large lakes. Off those lakes there are many, many rivers and tributaries. I would like to go fishing on these rivers....should I assume all these river have trout out there ready to be caught. Just a beginner at fly fishing...mainly fished lakes that are planted.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: River question

Hoser41: Here is a good starting point. When I travel and want to fish new streams I search for local fly shops. Stop in and talk with them about the streams you want to fish and get recommendations on what flies to use. I will usually buy 6-12 flies from them for their expertise. Good luck!

Larry
Old 07-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Hoser41,

Larry has given you the key to the Kingdom. Find a good fly shop and spend some time and money there. Tell them you are a beginner. Buy things even if it is only a couple of bucks each time you visit. If you catch fish take the pictures by. Learn the owner's name and make him a friend. He may give you some free casting lessons. Ask him to show you how to tye a fly if he has a vise set up behind the counter. Try to find non-busy times to visit. Buy some maps and ask him to point out some areas to fish. Make sure you ask if he has been catching any fish. Listen carefully because he may reveal where he was fishing. Don't expect to get his secret spots. If he mentioned he caught a beauty on so-and -so river go home and study your maps. Many rivers have limited access and you can locate areas to fish. The further you walk from parking the better your successes.

Don't forget to visit the Fish and Game Department and ask for a Fish Biologist. Tell him you are new to fly fishing and could he suggest some places to catch Trout. Then ask what do the trout feed on in that area. A F&G Biologist can be a heck of a resource.

These are all things I have done at one time or another. The first time I went to the Town of Green River, Wyoming to fish the Green River, my first stop was the Fish and Game in town. The lady at the counter gave me maps and all kinds of things to read about the area. Then she called the F&G guy to help us out. He took our maps and marked access and places we should try. His information was dead on and we had some good fishing in a new river that became my favorite river in the lower 48. Our next stop was the local fly shop. We asked about what flies we need. He said we only needed a green Stimulator and showed us a couple. We asked what we needed to tye up some of the flies. We bought what we needed and before we left he asked to see our map. He proceeded to make some other spots to try. Wyoming has some really friendly people.

Frank
Old 07-06-2009, 02:51 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser41 View Post
Live in the Sierra foothills about an hour from Lake Tahoe. In the area there are many small and large lakes. Off those lakes there are many, many rivers and tributaries. I would like to go fishing on these rivers....should I assume all these river have trout out there ready to be caught. Just a beginner at fly fishing...mainly fished lakes that are planted.
You live in the same neck of the woods that I do. Here are your options up the major corridors.

US 50 - South Fork of the American River, Silver Fork of the American River, Ice House Road (Ice House Lake, Loon Lake, Union Valley Reservior and their tribs)

SR 88 - Caples Lake, Silver Lake, West Carson River, East Carson River, Red Lake

I 80 - Truckee River, Little Truckee River, Middle Fork American River, Stampede Reservior, Boca Reservior

Make sure to check the DFG website for regs and stocking programs. Some lakes and streams are not being publicly stocked due to a lawsuit. See the DFG website for that.

Also there are three fly shops in the Sacramento region. There is one shop in Placerville. Give them a call.

MP
Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I guide in the Truckee area and we fish the Truckee under indicator and with streamers primarily. Evenings seem best right now for dries. Smaller tribs are getting very low. That leaves the Little Truckee, or a drive south to the Carson River. Still waters to consider, Stampede Lake is fishing well but a tube or boat is a good idea. Boca Lake is a locals favorite, many feisty small mouth to heal a bruised ego after prowling the Truckee. Let me know if you need more info. Bigfly guide service.com