The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Longbowman is on a distinguished road
Default Tying tippet to leaders

I found a thread on here explaining the "Davey Knot" which is fantastic so I'll pose this question. What is the easiest and best knot for tying a tippet to your leader and do you have a diagram shwoing it?
Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tying tippet to leaders

Longbowman: I like to use the double surgeons knot, basically all that is involved to to lay about 8" of the ends together and then tie an overhand knot using the short section and then repeat.
Surgeon's Knot

Larry
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

All my friends use the surgeon's knot,I don't...they make fun of me because I use the knot showed by Frank Whiton in the photo gallery...I don't know it's name but it's fast and easy you can change your tippet(or modify its length or diameter) easily without shortening your leader...which can last the whole season... it's economical too...So...I don't care if my friends laugh at me,just ask them if I catch less fish than they do
Old 07-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I use a loop to loop connection. It is the most flexible method I know of for Trout. The pictures show an abbreviated way to make the loop to loop connection. The complete directions are here.

Another way is to use a small metal ring in the end of the leader and then fasten your tippet to the ring. This is the same ring that is used in furled leaders.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:03 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about

I use a loop to loop as well, although I recently went back to a surgeon's loop rather than the perfection loop. I was getting too many break offs on the perfection loop.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:32 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Always used a nail knot. May try the surgeons not...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi twospots,

A nail knot is the last thing I would want to tie out on the stream. Just not worth the effort. If you are going to tie your tippet on I would consider a blood knot or a double surgeons knot. In some applications a triple surgeon knot. I don't like a surgeons knot as the knot doesn't lay straight like a blood knot.

Frank
Old 07-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

I use a blood knot and a double surgeons knot. The blood knot is for after I've been on the water a bit. The double surgeons is for that first minute on the water adrenaline rush when I'm shakin' and to excited to tie the blood.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

The double Surgeons will not lay straight but the triple will, always. I use the loop to loop here as well and the triple S. depending on the situation.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Hi DryFlyGuy,

If the perfection knot is breaking it may be the way you are tying it. You can always tell if the knot is correct by the tag end. The tag end should be sticking out ninety degrees to the main line. That is, after you have lubricate and pulled the knot tight, the tag end will stick straight out from the knot. Also, before you cut off the tag end take your pliers and insert them into the knot and do a pull test. Then cut the tag.

You can also use a non-slip mono loop. It is a very strong knot.

Frank